2. Something New

The Reason I Hate High School
Chapter Two

When the bell rang, the whole class groaned aloud. No one wanted to leave homeroom and go back to real classes, to the other students. They had a great thing going here. All of them, mostly, had been a great big group of friends since middle school. The newcomers fit in well. Killian had a little trouble with the few he already knew. He hadn't made the best impression in middle school. Apparently word spread fast. They warned him of a popular brat named Zelena, saying she would try to either be friends with him or ruin his life. By the end of the week his high school fate would be chosen: popular it unpopular.

Emma doubted him. She could see the arrogance in his eyes. He knew how attractive he was, and he loved hearing others say it too. She knew what he was like. He was.. he was just like Walsh. She would avoid him at all costs.

Before she could walk out the door with Belle, her mom called her back. "Emma? Come here please."

She turned around, saying bye to all her friends, "See you in gym Ruby." She waved, stepping over to the desk.

"What's up, mom?" She asked.

Mary Margret hesitated. She was beginning to remember this boy. David knew him well, but she'd only heard talk from other teachers. He was an apparent trouble maker, a guy that knew how much girls loved his act. She wasn't sure she wanted Emma around him.

But she gave him the benefit of the doubt. Mrs. Nolan chose to she the best in people, and right now he needed it. She could trust Emma. "I need you to show him around." She said, flickering her eyes to the dark haired boy sitting impatiently at a desk.

Emma's eyes grew wide. "What?" She asked angrily.

"Don't give me that tone. It's been decided. I'll write you a note incase your late to a class. Just show him all the places he needs to know." She handed her daughter a note and Killian's schedule. "Be nice." She warned lastly.

Emma groaned internally and rolled her eyes, taking the papers from her mom. She turned and stared down Killian. He smirked at her obvious displeasure and stood, clearing his throat. "Well love, I'm Killian Jones." He leaned closer and she got a look at those deep blue eyes, swirling with amusement. "I was hoping it'd be you." He said quieter.

She scoffed off his attempt at flirting, but couldn't say it didn't affect her. Emma Swan, do not give this guy the attention he wants.

"You have gym with me next, lets go." She left the classroom into the crowded halls with him trailing behind. He squeezed through the crowd to get beside her before she could lose him.

Emma slowed when she saw the queen. "That's her." She said quietly staring straight ahead.

"What?" He asked glancing around the hall. "Who?" He said loudly.

"Shhh! Her!" She nodded her head towards the redhead. "Zelena. Don't talk to her." Emma said sharply.

"But what if I-" he began to argue.

"Don't." Emma interrupted.

"Well, I can understand you don't want me talking to other girls, but this.." He trailed off, smiling a challenge at her.

"Shut up," she said laughing. That was a good sign. She didn't just brush him off this time. He was beginning to understand her.

"She's the queen of school. Terrible person really, but she'll either be your bestfriend or you worst nightmare." Emma warned.

"Ah, I think I can handle one lass." He responded. Emma didn't say anything, but continued down the hall until she stopped at a locker.

"This ones yours. 318." She said as she opened it and threw his books in it. "You don't need anything for gym. They give tshirts and shorts the first day." She explained.