Chapter 1

Amshula

The clapping of thunder and howling winds combine to form a deafening roar. I shut my window and shutter. My gaze falls upon the words carved into the headboard of my bed; Princess Amshula of Kinfayesha. I let out a sigh and lay against the fluffy pillows. Tonight I am alone, besides to occasional guards who come to check on me.

My father died from being poisoned by our enemies to years ago. Life without him is rather difficult. His death still burns in my memory. The way he laughed as I told him of my adventures on my horse. How he sipped his drink in a calming manner. He placed it down on to the table with a frown. He stood up and grabbed his throat in pain. All too suddenly he was laying on the ground, unresponsive. I smelt the drink and tears fell from my eyes, I knew. Instead of calling for help, I laid on the ground and cried on his chest. It was hours before anyone found us. That day, I swore I would avenge him, no matter how long it took.

I resemble my father quite a lot. My silky black hair cascades down my back in waves. My piercing blue eyes holding a flame of determination that none can dim. I turn my head to look at my dresser where my parents wedding picture resides. I wish we could be together again.

As I face the window, I see a man. He is watching me with a cruel grin. I sit up and stare in shock, not a sound escape my lips. A knock sounds at the door of my room. I remain frozen in place, unable to move. With one deep breath I scream as loud as I can. A guard with a heavy frame shoves the door open a rushes inside. He looks around the room, his posture tense.

I look at him and then back to the window. The man has disappeared. I explain the reason for my screams. He opens the window and looks outside. I walk to his side and look as well. We see the faint light of a candle on the ground. "Who's out here?" He yells into the night.

Immediately the lights go out and I can hear many feet run across the grass. I back away from the window anxiously. He shuts the door and pulls out his phone, already contacting the other guards. He informs me that they are checking the perimeter. He gives me a hug before turning to leave the room.

"Uncle Chris," I call out.

"Yes?"

"Can you take me to the secret room?"

"Of course, if that is what you wish, I shall gladly escort you."

We step out of the room closing the door behind us. As we go through the hall Uncle Chris asks a guard on duty to join the others outside. Once he is gone we both turn towards a painting hanging on a wall. My uncle then lifts it up and places it on the ground. Behind the painting is a metal door with a key pad attached to it. I type in the code and open the door. I slip inside with my uncle behind me.

He shuts the door and it automatically locks. You can only open it from the inside, or by using the passcode. We crawl through the dark tunnel before coming to a larger opening tall enough for us the stand in. I walk through a series of tunnels with different colored birds. We once again come to a door. I type in another passcode and it opens. We step into the room and shut the door behind us. The click of the lock is heard when it shuts.

I take in the room. On one side of the room a white dresser stands against the wall. Next to it is a bed with a rainbow themed bed set. A white canopy drapes across its entirety. A second bed resides on the other side of the room. The bed has lightening as its theme. While the rainbow one was obviously meant for me. I preferred to sleep on the other. I sit on the bed, while Uncle Chris takes a seat in a wooden chair that is by the door. There are many chairs and bean bags littering the room, shut incase more people need to be here. My uncle gets a call from one of his men. The phone call appears to be urgent. He hangs up the phone and informs me that he must go and meet with the guards. He hesitates as he looks into the multiple halls.