Chapter I: The Body

The cushions were soft beneath his head. Sleep began to tug him down into unconsciousness.

Something warm dripped onto his forehead.

Then again. Urgently.

Sam opened his eyes.

Jess lay above him, her face as white as paper, the blood dripping from her middle, where she was pinned to the ceiling.

Why, Sam?

Her voice echoed in his head, painful and accusing.

Why, Sam?

NO! Sam was screaming.

Then she burst into flame.

The fire wrapped around her body, holding her, caressing her, claiming her.

Why, Sam?

Why, Sam?

Sam...

"Sam! Sam, wake up." Dean's voice crashed through the phantasm like a breath of fresh air in a smoky landscape.

Sam's eyes flew open. He was confused. He attempted to gather in his surroundings all at once. His heart was pounding. The Impala. He was in the Impala, staring at the ceiling with Dean's hand on his chest.

Sitting up, Sam glanced around, breathing shallowly. The Impala was parked in front of a small coffee shop.

He licked his lips. "I take it I was having a nightmare." He sighed, looking to Dean. He couldn't remember it now. Only the terror that accompanied it. But he did have a vague idea of what it was about... What it was always about...

"Yeah, another one." Dean told him. He knew. How could he not? They had been hunting together for several weeks now, and ever since Jess...

Sam shook the thoughts away. "Hey, at least I got some sleep," he pointed out.

Dean looked at him. "You know, sooner or later we're gonna have to talk about this."

Sam did not want to talk about it. "Are we here?"

Dean pursed his lips, completely aware of what Sam was doing. "Yup. Welcome to Toledo, Ohio."

Sam picked up the newspaper in his lap, relieved that Dean didn't try to press the issue. In the obituary section, he saw one specific man circled.

SHOEMAKER, Steven

The Shoemaker family is sad to announce the sudden death of their beloved husband and father Steven Shoemaker. Steven was 46. A short service will be held on Wednesday, November 21st and 2:00pm...

Stopping there, Sam nodded in understanding. "So what do you think really happened to this guy?"

"That's what we're gonna find out." Dean said. He grinned at Sam. "I asked Jay along for this one," he told his brother proudly, and Sam chuckled.

"Finally," he said, rolling his eyes. He glanced out the window at the coffee shop. "Hence the café. You meeting her in there?"

"We are." Dean replied, looking straight forward. He was watching the reflection of the road behind them in the glass window of the café, his eyes hungrily waiting to see Jay's cherry El Camino.

"What, you scared of a date?" Sam asked coyly.

Dean said nothing, staring forward. He glanced around, then a smile appeared on his face. Sam twisted in his seat and smirked to himself to see the el Camino pulling into the parking lot. Dean practically sprang from the car to meet her, but Sam took his time to unhook his seatbelt and head out. He was almost scared to see her. He wasn't sure how much she knew.