The Diamond Household: Mercy Diamonds.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨       Mercy Diamonds      ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

"The rise and fall of a democracy was solely placed on the fact that the Hearts ruled this kingdom unfairly, with an iron fist. The King and Queen of Hearts were disgraced by their younger daughters' involvement with the Knight of Spades causing widespread panic and commotion with the people and the neighbouring Kings and Queens. Thus the-". Berty Diamonds was abruptly interrupted.

"People took over, and now us Spades are in rule of this country." Mercy Diamond of the Diamond Kingdom, Princess of Newland had interrupted, her older tutor Berty Diamonds being the old coot that he was instantly scolded her for speaking out of turn. While Berty droned on with his talk of useless history, Mercy folded her arms and sighed, 'If I were free from this strict lifestyle, I would happily go adventuring". She pondered on the recent thought as Berty put his aging hands on her table in front of her and spoke aloud.

"If you will not participate in appreciating my lecture, then I will see fit to tell your parents about your rudeness and disrespect, Mercy." Mercy cleared her throat and said, "Sir, could I ask you something important?". Berty stood up as straight as his spine would let him and sighed. He didn't have the same disrespect with Mercy's older sister, Princess Cassaria Diamonds, nor her eight older siblings; five brothers and three sisters.

Yes, the world was changing but the ruling family were a crucial factor in the everyday lives of the people. Just like the massacre... sixteen years ago. The Hearts, every one of them exiled. But the ruling family, they had the most fair treatment. Death.

But things were improving at least, but only for the wealthy citizens. If only she would stop droning on about life outside the castle and adventure, and finally commit to a princess' duties. She did not know half of the horrendous poverty outside, yet she was lucky of her position and now is the time for her to actually become her position. To hell with her question, her tutor thought. He had to stop her daydreams sooner or later, or else he would have to suffer the consequences.

"Fine. What is it?" he grumbled angrily, he caved in too easily to her. Mercy revealed an aged book from her lap and pushed it towards him. The tutor eyed the book, he had vowed never to speak of it in the past 'The Other Worlds by Hector Agustus' was printed boldly on the book's cover.

"I know who you really are, I've read through this book a thousand times... I just want to go there so badly, I just want to get out of this stupid castle. I want to fly with the winged serpents. I want to see a two headed Marmoll. Please just tell me how to get there. That is all I need. I won't bother you anymore if you just give me a map." Mercy sobbed. Her fingers sunk into the book. the tutor glared at the sudden impact on the frail cover. He had almost felt bad for her, but he ignored his old feelings for adventure. He took the book from her tight grip and flicked through the book's rare knowledge. Pages and pages of his inexorable work flashing in front of his very eyes had now come back to greet him. He stared at it with his pale eyes. His existing life, his own adventure. He threw the book into the blazing fire. It conflagrated in the blaze of yellow.

He touched the marble mantelpiece softly with his aging hand. He studied the book, now just crumpled ash. What his life had once been was now gone in a matter of seconds. A ghostly smile forming on his lips remembering the old days, before everything, when adventure was achievable and not banished.

He reminisced of when he was young and naïve, in his father's old brown cap and suit. Boarding as a stowaway of a steampunk pirate ship. Now fifty years of his adventuring gone, turned into faded memories and crumbling ashes. Like the book he had thrown away mercilessly into the demonic fire.

He was awoken from his reverie by the sound of his former name. “How did you find out?” he muttered turning to the shaking girl, "I-I... our singer Eva Eslesus told me." Mercy whispered as she stared wide-eyed at the man. He bent his aging head down. "If your parents knew I-" he had said before Mercy interrupted him, "I swear I have not told anyone! Well... except for my most trusted maid. But that is beside the point Mr Augustus, we can bring back adventure to the world!” Mercy said as a twinkle of hope shined in her blue irises. Brining back adventure to the country would be not possible, firstly she would have to get past the snivelling and greedy industrious Lord Victor Victorious Diamonds, she would need plenty of rich advocates to sponsor her in her quest. However, there was one man, Lord Gregory of Hearts, who believed in the spirit of adventure and going to new worlds.

Alas, Mercy could not partake in this quest alone and the old tutor would not be any use of help to her since his old bones were growing weary by the minute. She would need a travelling companion, but whom?

Who would be interested in bringing back adventure and risking the consequences of the law in this country? Barty pondered over the thought, there was one young man who came into Barty’s mind, young Prince Aiden of the Hearts. Even though he was a pretentious snake, he would help since he owed the old man an old favour, a trade, his life for the old man’s ambition.

“Look, ask for Aiden Smith, tell him I am your father, he will help you since he owes me an favour. Keep your identity hidden well princess, your father’s spies will be on the lookout. Here, I found these pauper’s clothes, they should fit you. Now go” The old man grunted as Mercy took the red shirt and black pants which smelled of a bakers. “He will know what to do next my princess.” The old tutor said softly as she darted quickly for the door. She looked at him one last time, her old mentor huddled in the arm chair next to the fire place, as they both exchanged a silent look, she muttered a word of thanks and disappeared through the door, clutching the clothes with precaution in fear that she might be caught.