THE SURPRISE

"hey! Stop shaking! We all know you'll win again. As in hello, do we have anybody here that could be better than the best? That could be better than you?"

Said Letty tapping my back. Everyone is excited for this year's campus writer championship. I could say this is school's annual celebration of what we call "Best of the Best" where best writers are gathered together to test who's the best of the best. There is no one here who could be more excited and nervous than I. I believe that being the unbeatable writer of the campus, losing this chance is a very great loss. You read it right for the last 3 year, I've got the title "UNDEFEATED CAMPUS WRITER"

I couldn't help but trembling around. I'm nervous...

"For the year's campus writer...."

Another suspense madam and I'm sure ill die now. Oh my god! Here it is!!! I cant wait!!!... I just close my eyes and hold my breath waiting for the Madam to announce whoever it is.

"Elaine Midwinter!!!"

I open my eyes upon hearing my name at the same time those people who have a great trust on me clap there hands, shouting endlessly; like no tomorrow.
I take my way towards the stage for my award. Even in receiving my award, people still clapping their hands. I look for Letty my best friend in between the crowd. My eyes exactly landed on hers. She mouthed 'the best' on me with the big smile on her face. Like before she's still proud as ever.

"Congratulations to you Ms. Midwinter! It's your 4th time in place. You're representing the editorial section. I'm sure your group will be proud of you! Care to give everyone a word for them to have some courage to win next time?"
Madam said handing me the mic.
I hold it tightly and release a heavy air from the inside.

"You know guys, I'm just trembling a while ago waiting to announce the winner. And fortunately, I've heard my name. You know from that little while I have this feeling of hesitation. If ever I'll win or meet the word lose. But behind those acts, I remained silent and still praying for the good win. Until here came this award on my hand again. I won the place. I want you guys to remain what you are. Stay humble and wait for your turn. Everything takes time. Just wait."

Everyone again clapped their hands. I walked down through the stairs and met up Letty. She then gave me a hug.
"I'm so proud of you El."
"Thanks Let!"
"Come on!I have something for you!"
I didn't talked back because she held my hand tightly as she can.

---
"okay what now? Cant see anything Let. you know"

"Just stop talking back and you'll know"

"Don't you know I cant see anything."

"of course you cant see anything because you're blindfolded! You idiot!"

"Harsh brat! Now get the blindfold"

"As you pleased"
Letty free my eyes from total darkness. I slowly opened my eyes...

"SURPRIIIIIISE!!!"

My editorial family shouted. I can say they're so much ready huh.

"congrats."
"congrats."
"congrats."
"congrats."
"congrats."
And a lot more of 'congrats'
I cant concentrate of replying them because my eyes were glued only to one direction. The corner of the editorial room. It's the only corner where my best friend usually sits. My boy best friend aside from Letty. But I couldn't find him in the crowd.
It's not what you think that I'm like the other girl who had simply fall in love with my best friend I have my own limits and boundaries. Best friend PERIOD!.
DING DONG
The doorbell sounds. And Letty presented herself to open the door.
" looks like someone has so much to catch up here." said Letty.

When I looked at the door, I saw
him. I just saw my best friend whom I'm longing to see.

" Jonathan."

"cooongrats?"
He said having the big question mark on his face. As if he's missing something.
Everyone stopped from what they're doing and give each attention to us.

In a jiffy, he suddenly hug me as I hug him back.
"congrats!"
"again and again?"
"just for you my love!"
" Okay I'll prefer my friend than that hahaha." I teased
" Don't be others. Just the same you know!"
"grrr!!!! Hyper as ever."
We let go of the hug and took a drink that is being served.
"water? Always? Are you for real?"
"as you can see water is my life. But if ever i have another choice, don't worry, I'll choose YOU as my life ^_^ "
" you're kidding right?"

There was silence.

Another silence.

With a stare in our eyes.

Serious. We're both serious...

I think???

"HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!"
when Jonathan suddenly burst out laughing.

" Not that funny. I hate you. You freak!"
"I know you love that freak."
"Geeeez. As if I can say a n----"
He stopped me covering my lips with his finger index.
"come on, I'll show you something. Someplace."
He whispered.