Chapter 4

***Bold lines represent text messages or Facebook Messenger messages.***

The over eager person that I am, I open up my laptop and look for his card in my bag to search for him on Facebook. The annoyingly frustrating man had a business card that didn't even have his full name. Pissed at him, but more at myself for even caring, I fire him a text, "What's your last name?"

I come back from my bath after half an hour to find the notification light glowing on my phone. I open the message to see, "Hi Pri! Here's the link to my Facebook profile (caught you ;))" followed by the website's link. 

Hating him even more, I click on the link, cursing him all the while. Even though it kills me to admit it, he is absolutely gorgeous. Looks killed, in his family. Afraa was beautiful too. I copy her page's link and send it to my boys; ensuring my lunch for the next day was taken care of. I look at both their profiles. Checking her clothes and photos of his work on other people. Late at night when I finally feel sleepy, I send him a request. At the last moment, against my better judgment, I send one to Afraa as well.

Just as I was falling asleep my phone dinged. I wasn't going to check that any time soon. I was a very finicky sleeper and once broken, sleep would elude me for the rest of the night. It was only in the morning that I got to see that both my tattooist and his sister had accepted my friend request. I go over to Afraa's profile picture and hit a 'like'. Instantly a message appears, "4 friend requests from the same college and batch. You, I recognize. Didn't know I was this popular. :P"

Today was going to be a long day if the morning was this embarrassing. My fingers hovered over the keyboard when another message beeped in, "I know you're online, love. I know you asked for my name. Didn't expect you to share it with your friends."

I reply ingeniously (note the sarcasm), "Late for my exercises. Talk later?"

"Why are you being nervous?"

"Not nervous. Exercises."

"I like people who exercise. BTW my bro peeked in on my phone. Wants to know if you can meet him at the shop tmrw?"

"He has an owl already??"

"Owl? IDK about that. 18:00 tmrw. GTG, love." And the green blinked off.

I'd like to say my life was so interesting that loads of things happened before I met Slok the next day but it really wasn't. I attended my classes, got a free lunch from my friends and waited till it was time to go meet the guy who was invading way too much in my thoughts. Damn him and his look-good genes! Also, I heard relentless talks about how pretty Afraa was from my guys. Slok texted me that night asking if we were indeed meeting which I confirmed with a thumbs up. I saw another text in the morning that read, "You could use some words if you want."

I didn't bother with a reply as I knew we'd be meeting in a few hours. I whiled away my time during my classes and prayed to God that Slok would look at the pictures on my phone and at least listen to what I wanted: me, the client, the one who actually wanted the tattoo on her own body. But if only I could be that lucky.

I reached his shop at six sharp that evening. BBP smiled at me in recognition. The moment I entered I saw Slok in his true form. All his mischief washed off, all his jokes forgotten; all that was visible was the concentration and the gun in his hand. The tattoo under construction was exquisite. He had me mesmerized. This was the guy I had imagined when I looked at his website. He was in his element...the eccentric façade was no more.

It took him some time to finish; the man in the chair looked at his bleeding hand and smiled. I could only hope for half the satisfaction that was on his face when I finally got one. Slok looked at me and his face lit up. I wanted to warn him to lay off but I didn't. He saw his client off and motioned for me to sit beside him. I was too awed with his skill to mention that the couch was too small for the two of us.

"That was amazing, Slok!"

"Thanks, Pri. So while I am inside these walls, I'm all business. No stupid stuff. Let's talk about your tattoo."

"How much do you think it'd hurt?"

"Neck, right?"

I nod.

"A lot", he replies and I wince. He continues, "But that's the beauty of it. It's a sign that if you endure enough pain, you'll be rewarded. For life."

"Do you want to see the designs?"

"Keep the Net off of me, please. I have a few questions."

"Shoot."

"First off, single line? Or color-filled? I suggest former."

For the first time ever I agree with him, "Former."

"About this big?" he holds up his fingers to indicate the size. I nod again. "Do you want only an owl? Or something else too?"

"Owl on a branch."

"Okay. Branch. Umm...do you want a dark theme or a happy one?"

"I don't want my owl to be creepy. Not very dark but laugh-out-loud either. Just non-creepy."

"Birds can't be creepy, Priyanka."

"I strongly disagree. All birds are creepy. Owls sometimes aren't. I want you to capture such a moment and put it on me. I warn you: don't you dare give me a creepy bird on my neck forever after!"

"Yes, ma'am."

I smile, waiting for him to continue.

Before long he has packed up his papers and we go outside in the shopping district. It is jam-packed with sweaty people and we have to maneuver our way through them carefully. We were at almost at my bus-stop when I see her and mutter a small, "Oh shit!" Slok glanced at me once and then followed my line of vision to notice her and gave a well expected low whistle and mouthed silently, "She's hot!"

Just as I expected because my luck wouldn't permit otherwise, she noticed me too. She smiled too brightly and walked over. "Priyaaa...I haven't seen you in so long. How have you been?"

I speak almost inaudibly, "I'm good. How are you?"

"I am so good, Priya."

I was hating this name now. "Cool, nice to see you. Bye."

"Hey! I am not leaving before you give me a hug!"

I oblige, cringing once her face was at my shoulder and once after she has left.

Slok looks at me as she walks away and I wait for the question which eventually comes when she's out of sight, "Who was that?"

"Just someone I know."

"How do you know her?"

"I just do."

"C'mon! I told you my sister's name for your friends."

"And for me, too."

"What?"

"God! You're thick! We play for the same team, dude."

"Stop talking in riddles. Just tell me how you know her. Is she an ex of your boyfriend?"

"She is an ex of mine, you doofus. I dated her!"

Cue the customary silence.

By this time we reach the bus stop and thankfully my bus arrives. Looking out of the window, I see Slok holding his hand near his ear, asking me to either call him (AS IF!!!) or informing me that he'll call. It was the last I saw of him for an entire week and a half. Nothing I didn't expect after the coming out. This was the fifth replay of this in my life.

I am so elated that I finally am getting to do regular updates. I hope you like the story enough to stick with it. As always, don't forget to Vote, Comment and Share