Chapter 8

If anyone was to think it was the end of my altercations with Slok, they'd be very wrong. We had one almost every time I'd stay over. And it wasn't for my lack of quieting down; because as of then, I'd become a mouse! A few months later, Slok was once again away and I was once again at their place.

After innumerable fights and jeering, it was the first time in a long time that I was able to breathe in that apartment. Afraa was also on edge whenever Slok was around, although she had stopped bombing me with stories of her brother's jealousy. I didn't want them to get in a fight because of me but not taking sides in our quarrels was starting to take a toll on Afraa.

"Afraa, could we talk?"

She stopped playing with my hair and wrapped the bed sheet around her tightly, sensing it was a serious conversation. She nodded her encouragement.

"How do I make it better?"

"Make what better, love?"

"This endless tirade with you, me and Slok!"

"It's not yours to better. Slok needs to stop making things difficult."

"I think he hates that we...you know...have sex where he lives. He hates me for going out with you, Afraa. I don't know how to solve this."

"Pri, honestly, you over-think. Way too much. Slok doesn't mind that, I mean. He's had girls over lots of times."

"No, it's different because you are his baby sister."

"No. No. It's different because he wanted you with him."

I shake my head violently, unable to believe we were having this conversation again, "Afraa, please, not again. I thought we were done with this. He is not. He is just an over protective brother."

"Okay, fine. Can you answer a few of my questions?"

I nod reluctantly. She continues, "Did he or didn't he want to go out with you?"

"Did." I was hating where this conversation was headed.

"Did he or didn't he want you?"

"Afraa!" I chided her, "I don't think he ever did. Can we talk about something else?"

"Well, he did. I don't appreciate it. I just want him to not exist right now. I don't know", Afraa finishes oh-so-specifically, rubbing her eyes out furiously.

"You know what I was thinking? A couple of my friends are getting a bigger apartment. So, if I pitch in a bit more than I do now I could get my own room and we could spend time together without being here, you know...?" I trail off, looking at her skeptical expression.

"Pri, I can't ask you to do that. You barely make ends meet. I am not complaining why that is but even you know that's true. You are not paying for an apartment that is even an inch bigger than the most basic necessity. You hear me?"

"But, Afraa, I'd do it for you. Can't you see?"

"Pri! Stop being so stubborn. You take this apartment but who even knows how long I'll be here...", and by the look on her face I can tell that this wasn't meant for me to know, at least not yet.

As was my MO: I wait for Afraa to explain herself. When she doesn't, I hastily got off the bed and start wearing my clothes. There is only so much you can discuss when you are wrapped up in a pink bed sheet. "What do you mean by that?" I blurt out.

"By what?"

"Don't play dumb. What do you mean by how long you'll be here?"

"You know..."

"No, Afraa, I do NOT know! What the flying fuck! Explain. My mind has the worst scenarios going on."

"If the grant comes through, you know, maybe by next year, I'll be going..."

"...going? Going where?" I rub my eyes tiredly. I was trying so hard to keep calm and to tell myself that it wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be. But sometimes when life decided to crash on you...it does.

"I was so scared how you'd react. I didn't know how to tell you this, Pri."

"Afraa, just tell me...where are you going?"

In the smallest voice she replied, "Netherlands."

I was hoping for another city; but at least my worst fears were still limited to my own country. Little did I know she had plans for a whole different continent! I slide down on the bed, unable to process anything anymore.

After sometime, Afraa sits down beside me, taking my hand into hers. I struggled to take it back but she doesn't let me. She squeezes my hand before saying, "Priyanka, I was going to tell you if the grant came through. I am not sure if they'd approve my documents, love. I would have told you."

I didn't know I was crying before I felt my cheeks feel wet. I merely nodded along, since I didn't know what else to do. She kept on repeating that she would have told me. Maybe at the fiftieth time I interrupted her, "You would have told me after the grant got approved but the fact is you should have told me right when you were applying. Don't for a moment think I would have stopped you but even you know you should have told me earlier. Would have made a smaller mess."

She nodded and it was after a long time I was looking at her instead of at the wall. I noticed she had tears too. I didn't pause to discern whether it was because I was accusing her or because she would eventually have to end us. I was more involved in how utterly useless and pointless and valueless the conversation was making me feel.

Through the closed door of the bedroom, we heard the main door clicking open then shut and Slok's voice, "My ladies, your man is home." His words were slurred; he was drunk. Afraa looked at me pleadingly and added, "Please don't tell him."

Soon we heard a knock at our door. Both of us jumped a little when Slok said, "Wear your clothes and come outside, girls. Five minutes."

We oblige and in the process I avoid Afraa's eyes as much as I can. When we are in the living room, Slok drags a chair in front of the setter, sits on it and motions for us to sit on the settee; which we do. Once we are seated, Slok stands up and tumbles to his backpack which he had thrown carelessly by the door. Slowly he puts his hands in and brings out a big white envelope. Coming back towards us, he throws it at Afraa and says only one word, "Explain." The envelope says 'Leiden University'.

DUN DUN DUN DUUUUNNNN!!!So that happened! Tell me what you think about my second attempt at writing here in the comments! Also a huge thanks to you guys. I can't believe I have over 200 views and 50 votes. *virtual hugs to all* Please do Vote, Comment and Share