Chapter 14. Witch!

Merida had recently turned sixteen, she'd matured a lot in the past two years since she last saw Hiccup. But she missed him so much. As promised they wrote to each other as often as they could, life just seemed so bleak without him.

Merida was racing through the forest one afternoon, on her horse Angus.
"Today is the day Angus, I'm going to climb the FireFalls!" Merida enthused. Angus neighed happily and raced faster through the forest. As they rode Merida shot arrows into targets she'd placed nearby.
This was perfect for her, not a care in the world. She didn't have to worry about any princess duties because today was her own day, her freedom day.

As they neared the FireFalls, Angus suddenly stopped, his hooves dug into the earth as he skidded along and Merida flew off the saddle over Angus' head. She landed a few feet ahead of him.
"What wa tha fer?!" She glanced up at the great horse as she rubbed the side of her body. Angus neighed furiously with fear in his eyes, he was stamping all over the place. "Aeright! Calm down!" Merida huffed as she took hold of his reins. She stood beside the frightened horse hoping to see what all of his commotion was about.

A wisp.

"What?!" Merida said in confusion. Curiously, Merida began to follow the wisps. It was like she was younger with Hiccup again and she recognised this path they were leading her along! "This is bizarre!" Merida chuckled to herself as she stepped over a log. "I know this path...it leads to that cottage." She mumbled.
She was right, there in the clearing was the cottage belonging to the crazy old woman. Merida ran up to the cottage door and knocked loudly.
"Hello?! Old lady?" Merida called. The door swung open to reveal a workshop filled to the brim with woodcarvings of bears and dragons. In the corner was the old woman who was chipping away at a chunk of wood.
"Hello dearie!" The woman called out as she looked up. Her voice was thick with the Scottish accent but also croaky with age.
"Umm...lovely carvings you have here." Merida spoke up. She didn't quite know what to say even though the wisps had brought her here. Bravely, Merida sucked in some air and began to speak again. "The wisps lead me here." She blurted out. The woman stopped carving and made her way around her carving table until she was standing right in front of Merida. Her expression was deadly serious.
"It's time." The old woman muttered to Merida.
"Wha-?" Merida was cut off by the woman cackling. Quickly, the old hag pushed Merida out of the workshop, closing the door behind them. The woman clapped her hands before reopening the door and entering. The inside had completely changed, all the carvings had disappeared and in the centre of the room was a great big black caldron.
"Your a witch!" Merida cried out as she stepped back inside.
"Yes yes details details!" The witch cackled. See hobbled over to the caldron and peered inside before beckoning Merida over. She glanced inside to see a green liquid bubbling.
"What's that?" Merida said as she scrunched up her nose. The witch laughed loudly, her voice scratchy and worn out.
"Look again!" She grinned. Merida obeyed and glanced back into the caldron only to see Hiccup!
"Hicc!" She gasped. She watched the image of Hiccup, he looked a little taller now, his hair was a little longer and his jaw was sharper. Suddenly, he began walking over to a...dragon!
"Wait?! A dragon?!" Merida cried.
"Aye." The witch smiled. Merida looked back and now Hiccup had mounted the black dragon and they zoomed off into the sky.
"He wasn't joking when he said he was going to tame one." Merida chuckled. She felt slightly proud of him.
"Aye, now of you go!" The hag clapped happily. She began pushing Merida out of the cottage.
"Wait! Please let me see him again!" She yelled in protest.
"Oh Yer will!" The with cackled. With that she gave Merida a good shove and sent her tumbling out of the cottage.
"Oh Yer will! Pffft..." Merida mocked. She stood up before mounting Angus and riding off home.