Chapter 16. To fight or not to fight?

Swiftly Hiccup and Toothless landed next to the cliff, waiting for Merida to climb back down. Hiccup chuckled as he watched her climb.

Suddenly, her foot slipped and Merida lost her grip. She hung on by one hand screaming for help.

"I'm done for!" She muttered through her panic. As if in slow motion, Merida's hand crumbled under the pressure and she began plummeting to the ground. Hiccup gasped and in one quick movement he mounted Toothless and they shot up into the air, speeding toward Merida.

"I GOT YOU MER!!!" Hiccup cried out. He held out his arms ready to catch the falling girl. Merida was screaming frantically, her voice hoarse and her chest heaved as she tried to gasp for air and just when she thought she was going to crash to her death she landed safely in Hiccup's arms. But Merida didn't have time to even register whose arms she had fallen into, her vision spotted and she blacked out.
~~~
"Mer! Wake up!" Hiccup whispered. He had tested Merida on the ground next to Toothless to protect her.
"Wha.." Merida groaned groggily. Her vision adjusted as she sat up scratching her head. "Hiccup?" She whispered in disbelief. Hiccup smiled as soon as he saw Merida's bright blue eyes.
"Hiccup?!" Merida gasped in disbelief. He chuckled quietly as Merida rubbed her eyes. "I'm dead aren't I? I just plummeted to my death and we are actually ghosts!" The princess babbled.
"Nope, we are both alive mi'lady." Hiccup laughed as he helped Merida up. As soon as she was on her feet, Hiccup pulled her into a tight hug, letting his head borrow into her pillow like hair. "I missed you so much." Hiccup sniffed.
"I missed you to." Merida pulled away to wipe the tears off of Hiccup's face.
"I don't know what to do Mer, for two years my dad has been training me to join his army and tomorrow he wants me to lead the second front...to fight or not to fight?"
"I-I don't know? I haven't been told anything about the war...all me mum has told me is tha it's really gory." Merida explained. Hiccup scratched his head in thought.
"I have to fight for the Berkian people and also..." Hiccup trailed off, a blush crept upon his cheeks, "for you..."
"Well Hicc, it looks to me like you're more than ready, you have a bloody dragon at your side?! This war is against dragons and now that you have one you can finally show your da, that there is no need for war." Merida spoke quietly as if someone was listening.
"You are absolutely brilliant!" Hiccup cried. He picked Merida up by the waist and twirled her around several times.
"I know.." Merida giggled as she regained balance on the ground. "I have to get back to the castle, me mum is probably wonderin' where I am." Merida exclaimed sadly.
"I need to get back to Berk, to save my people and the dragons." Hiccup announced sternly.
"Please be safe Hicc, for me?"
"I will." Hiccup pecked Merida's cheek before mounting Toothless and taking off into the sky. From the ground, Merida waved sadly, tears spiller over her cheeks for she didn't know when she would next see Hiccup.