Walk the Line

She couldn't breath but it didn't worry her. Everything moved slowly, the doctors, nurses, machines, everything moved like it was going through water and that was the way it sounded. Everything was far away and peaceful, nothing seemed urgent and she wasn't afraid. She felt warm and comfortable she allowed herself to close her eyes and listen to the distant humming. Every once in a while, she'd open her eyes and see Charles parked beside her bed, or Storm, or Hank, or Logan, but Kurt was always there, his hand holding hers a constant.

"You have to eat something, son." Hank looked down at Kurt, both of their eyes were sunken and bloodshot even though she had only been sleeping for a day. "Go on, your favorite, Charles told me so."

"Thank you." Kurt shook his head and turned back to Willow, refusing the food.

"You know she'd never want you neglecting yourself like this. It would break her heart, Kurt. I know you miss her, and I do too, God knows I miss her. She's my best friend. And she's strong and she will come back but until then, you must take care of yourself." Hank shoved the take away box into Kurt's lap and went to sit on the other side of her bed.

She felt like she was in a dream. She was in the field Kurt took her too months ago. A field of yellow flowers and a great oak tree right in the middle where they had a picnic and sat in the sun for hours. The breeze was soft and they stayed there in their own little heaven the entire day, dancing and laughing. But this time she was alone in the field.

"I love you." Kurt voice floated in the wind, she looked around but he was nowhere to be found. "Miene liebe...." his kiss whispered on her hand, but still he was not there.

Kurt had wondered this past year to deserve her, this magnificent woman, this angel. His angel. But as he sat there, beside her bed, he wondered if she was ever a gift at all. Maybe God was punishing him for his sins, giving him such a divine creature only to take her away. He looked down on, her wings tucked into the rails on the sides of the bed and her pale skin punctured by needles. Her hair fanning around her head. Like a halo.

"She's heavily sedated, she will be for the next twelve hours or so but she should wake up in the next twenty four hours." the doctor reported. The group of mutants sighed all at once, it felt like they hadn't taken a breath in the past 36 hours.

"She'll be okay?" Storm asked.

"Yes." the doctor nodded. "If you'll excuse me," he ducked out of the circle of Willow's family and they hugged each other before Logan volunteered to tell Kurt.

"Elf," he grunted when he walked into the room, trying to contain his joy. Kurt barely acknowledged him until Logan said, "Talked to the doctor."

"What?" Kurt's head snapped in Logan's direction, about to cry like he already knew the news and it was bad.

"Yea... he said.... She's... she's gonna be okay." Logan's mouth twitched into a genuine smile.

She looked so beautiful it made Kurt's knees weak. She looked like a dream and he couldn't take his eyes off her. Logan was walking her down the isle slowly.