INTRODUCTION AND CHAPTER ONE

HEY GUYS! SO THIS IS MY FIRST CHAPTER OF STATIC AND I REALLY HOPE YOU ENJOY IT! NONE OF MY CHAPTERS ARE EDITED SO IF YOU SEE A MISTAKE PLEASE POINT IT OUT SO I CAN CORRECT IT! THANKS SO MUCH!! XX

*Imogen pictures above*

Once, long, long ago, there was a girl named Imogen Vast. She lived in Colby Kansas with her beautiful older sister, Charlotte, and both of her happily married parents. She had a lovely golden retriever named Daisy who's glossy coat never lost its shine. Her neighbors had a farm that she would visit in her spare time just to watch the cows and wonder if they knew what was coming to them later on down the road when Farmer Scott sold them off to the butcher. She did well in school, bringing home straight A's to proudly present to her parents on every report card. She had friends who cared about her and who were great fun for her as she was for them everyday.

She would escape to her dreams every night, creating stories of islands with buried treasure, knights in shining armor, and girls with strong hearts who proved all the boys at school wrong. She liked to think that reality wasn't as bland and boring as it appeared to be. She liked to think that the cotton in the wind was little fairies playing tag in the sky. She liked to think that she was the lost princess of some far away kingdom, kept a secret from her until her parents saw her worthy enough to rule. She was a girl with a wild imagination, always assuming there was something magical in everyday ordinary things.

Imogen had the kind of spirit that makes others envious. She had the kind of smile you remember because it always hit you when you least expected it because she had come to understand that people don't need a smile when their already laughing, but when they're down in the dumps waiting to be lifted up. She was brave and kind hearted and had never wronged anybody.
Ever.
Yet they still broke her.
They shattered her from the inside, tearing every last piece of good in her soul to shreds until they broke through.
In the beginning she would keep her chin held high when they whispered threats in her ears. And she'd get back up when they knocked her down, again, and again, and again. But nobody can be brave forever. Sooner or later the walls around her fell down and crumbled, crashing to the ground as she sank to her knees and surrendered.

I should know better than anyone. After all, I was Imogen Vast 3 years ago. Then they took her and molded her into nothing but an empty, unfeeling shell. The me now, it's a heartless robot, operating without question, carrying a dead spirit inside. My rebellious streak is gone, the fire in my soul just a pile of ashes thanks to the shroud of darkness they smothered over it.

I'm no longer Imogen Vast. They stripped me of that name when they took me. When they crushed me. They gave me a new name. One that represents all that I am and all that I will ever be. They gave me a name that is supposed to prove to me how measly and little I actually am. The name that they branded me with serves the soul purpose of humiliating me forever, for as long as they still have their claws around me.

The name they carved into my skin the day they took me. The name that reminds me everyday that I am nothing. They won't let me forget how easily they can squash me. Because what's easier to stomp all over than a Roach?
           END OF INTRODUCTION

I couldn't stop running. Running, running, running. Not that my legs were actually moving. It was in a dream. No, a dream is something beautiful that makes you warm and happy inside. This was cold and dark, a nightmare, really. A nightmare that I was aware I was having but was to drained to wake up from. Just running in my sleep along a blank black and white landscape with no sun, swallowed up by darkness. I was running from something, I could feel its presence, only, when I looked over my shoulder, there was not a thing behind me except the identical expanse of nothingness that stretched out all around. Yet the fear was still there. Like a knife in my side, a constant ache and never ending pang. Like fangs sinking into my skin, deeper and deeper until they hit bone and then going beyond that.

That's how it was every night here, constantly running in my dreams from the unknown. I've tried to decipher its meaning, like it might be metaphorical for something that I fear in real life. Only, there was so much to fear now that it was hard to connect the nightmare with just one of them.