28: Never Was There Ever A Girl So Pretty

"Queen of Disaster," I said out loud as I wrote the title of the newest song I had written at the top of my notebook. I sat on a private jet on the way to Friedberg, Germany.

I wrote the song out of anger after reading a magazine, currently on the table in front of me, which had a picture of Elvis in army gear saying that Elvis leaving was a positive thing. How could people saw that? An I had to add, Elvis looked damn good in his army outfits.

Outfits on the other hand had to be for extremely cold weather. It was freezing up here and Elvis told me to pack as if I was turning into an ice cube.

I was proud of Elvis for choosing to serve as a regular soldier instead of having special privileges and be an entertainer. It even put a positive light on him.

"Ms. Del Rey?" A flight attendant asked. I looked up with a smile. It felt great to be called by my new name. "Yes?"

"We will be touching down shortly. Please fasten your seatbelt Miss."

****

"Sorry ma'am, Elvis sent me to pick you up." A man with brown hair in a uniform said to me. Then he held his hand out. "I'm Joe Esposito."

I shook his hand. "Lana Del Rey." I grinned. He nervously returned the smile. He seemed so uptight.

I was really disappointed that Elvis didn't come to pick up his girlfriend. I haven't seen him for awhile, a couple months or so. And he can't even come greet me?

I brushed it off and followed Joe to his car while he took my luggage. I thanked him and got into the passenger seat as he put my suitcase in the trunk.

We drove for awhile making small talk until we arrived at Elvis' house he had bought.

There was a group of teenage girls outside hoping to catch a glance at Elvis just like they did at home. I could see he wasn't waiting for me outside at all which also kinda hurt.

Joe helped me carry my suitcase up to the house. I thanked him again as I took it and walked inside Elvis' new home while he lived out here.

I heard music and laughter and smelled food as soon as I stepped in. Unfamiliar faces were all around as I walked through.

"Lana?" A few of them asked. I nodded and smiled at whoever talked to me. Since I was known as his girlfriend, I got just as much attention as he did.

"Where's Elvis?" I asked Joe, also disappointed Elvis was here waiting for me either.

"Uh," he said nervously. "I think he's at the piano. I'll take your bag upstairs, you go to the living room." He pointed in the direction of the room and took my luggage back and headed upstairs.

I turned and headed for the living room. I stepped in and saw him sitting at the piano singing and playing loudly while everyone around him sang along and watched him with excitement.

I leaned in the doorway as I watched him as well.

After he finished singing, he spotted me and smiled. He gestured for me to come to him.

I felt happy again and took a seat next to him in the piano stool. He wrapped his arms around me and pressed his lips to my temple.

"Oh I'm so glad you're here!" E exclaimed. "Everyone," he announced. "This is Lizzie. Lana," he looked at me with a confused expression. "Either one."

I laughed at him. "I don't mind either." He chuckled and kissed me on the lips while still holding me in his arms. "Never was there ever a girl so pretty." He said in my ear. I felt on top of the world. Here I was, in Elvis Presley's arms while everyone around us smiled and beamed.

"Hey Joe," Elvis called to the nervous man who just entered the room. Joe looked like a deer in headlights.

"Put in a record."

"How about Johnny Cash maybe?" Joe asked as he walked towards the record player.

I felt like a giant weight just fell in my stomach. I'd forgotten about Johnny.

Elvis shook his head. "Nah, put something dance-y on."

"