Chapter 1

Feeling like this was normal. Cold, empty, broken, used these are a few words I use to describe myself. The entire last year of my life I have dedicated my own time to shutting people out and shutting down. I don't need anyone, I just need myself to get by in a world where you are forced to conceal yourself for the happiness of others. People live blindly as children until they finally hit an age where they realize what is really going on in a world that is self-destructing.

Here I am walking down this hallway of Fernside High school. A school I was forced into by my foster mother. I feel invisible standing in the sea of students who seem to endlessly flow from classrooms. It's my first day. I, unlike other students, have not come for the friendships. I am here to get an education I don't have much of a choice in getting.

I haven't been here for more than an hour and I already have a few people who really hate me. Everywhere I appear someone new hates me, it is nothing new. I don't know if it is from jealousy or from pure hatred. People just dislike me. I don't really understand why I'm just a 5'4" blonde with green eyes. I don't have any piercings or tattoos and I try to be nice to most people I come into contact with.

When my body collided with a hard surface and I fell to the floor I realized I was still walking aimlessly through the school halls. My books and papers were scattered like toys across the hallway floor. I quickly nealt down and began collecting my papers. When I looked up my eyes locked with a boy's. He was crouching and had a cheeky smile on his face as he held a few papers out for me to grab.

"I'm sorry I wasn't paying much attention to where-"

He cut me off.

"Hey it's fine, don't worry about it! I was rushing, I should have been more careful." For once it was someone else apologizing to me. He stared at me as if awaiting a reply.

"Oh...ok."

I don't really know what else to say. I looked around seeing everyone watching our brief meeting. I felt the blush creeping up to my cheeks.

"I'm Kadin." He stuck his hand out and I grabbed his hand giving it a brush off handshake.

"I'm Bella."

"Are you new here?"

He picked up his books and binders. Everyone was still watching our little meeting making my cheeks turn a deep crimson color.

"Yes I am, it's kinda my first day here..."

"I figured, I know about 95% of the student body and I have never seen you here before. Let me see your schedule maybe I can help you around a bit."

Is he crazy? Does he know he is wasting his time? This will not end well. It never does.

"No thanks. I'm fine."

I heard some girl mutter something under her breath. I glared at her.

"Oh come on I can help I know the school pretty well."

I groaned and contemplated whether I wanted to give him my schedule or not. He held his hand out and I looked at it before handing my schedule to him. He glanced down at the paper before looking at me with surprised eyes. I rolled my eyes in response.

"What is it, Kadin?" I put emphasis on his name as if mocking him a little.

"Well it's just all of your classes are advanced."

"Yeah so?" Annoyance rolled through my body in waves.

"Well you have all the classes with me, gorgeous, so I guess I can just walk you to every class today."

He shot me a wink, I ignored him reaching for my schedule.

"Oh great." I tried not to sound sarcastic, I really did. It just didn't work like I thought it would. He just chuckled before smirking.

"Come on," he said motioning for me to walk next to him. As we walked I looked at his face. I didn't really notice at first but he had strong attributes to his features. With his looks, the typical strong and clean-cut jawline and muscles that were not too big or too small, I wouldn't be surprised if he was captain of the football team with girls swooning at his feet.

Oh yay, how cool I get to hang out with a cocky guy. Wow. even my mind put stuff sarcastically. He turned his head catching me staring at him. I blushed and looked away.

"Hey," he said turning to me.

"Mhm," was all I replied.

"Were you just checking me out?"

"No, I was just...looking at you trying to read you that is all."

"And what did you find out?" We turned a corner just as the warning bell rang saying we will be late soon.

"Well..." I trailed off looking at him, he was also looking at me. I stopped and looked into his eyes. I like that they were blue, I don't know many people with blue eyes.

"Nothing?" He is so impatient.

"I see a broken boy, with big dreams and hope for a better future and for love." We turned another corner. "I see you trying to fight your demons, I see an amazing father, in the future, of course, I see a role model, most importantly I see a leader. I see that your father left you at a young age, and I see you have a hard time trusting people. There is also something mysterious about you that I can't put my finger on yet. I can also see you think I did a major background check and threw the random things about role models and stuff in there but you are wrong, I can just read people really well, don't ask how."

The walk filled itself with an intense silence when the bell rang signaling we were late, great! I'm late on the first day. A few minutes later he turned to a door. We walked in and all eyes fell on us.
"Nice to see you showed up to class, Mister Kadin," a tall blond who I assume is the teacher said without looking up.
"Well you see Mrs. Piper, I was showing the new student to class that's all."
She looked up and met my eyes smiling.
"Good morning Miss. Fame," she greeted me warmly, causing me to look down. "Class this is Bella Fame it is her first day so play nice, Bella come up here and introduce yourself." I didn't argue with her. I walked to the front of the class with my head down trying to hide the blush that found its way to my face.

"Hi," I started. "As she said my name is Bella Fame, I moved here from New York, my mom just got a job here. So here I am, umm I guess you can say I'm really good at school, I work hard but I am a bad student attitude wise so i can get a little testy with anyone." The whole class was quiet.

"Nice to meet you," Mrs. Piper said. "You can take a seat next to Kadin since it is the only open seat available."
"Thank you..." I shot her a weak smile.

It all seemed a bit ironic to me, the way things were working out today. The bumping into Kadin, the fact that this was the only available seat in the classroom when many girls would love to sit here. It was all too surreal. Something weird was going on here, and I have a feeling I'll figure out what it is soon enough.