Chapter 15

The seven of us hung out every day while Kelli was gone. Did Kelli normally hang out with all of them without me? Judging by the inside jokes they all had that involved Kelli, I’d say yes. Because if the attention’s on me, the friendship falls through. God fucking forbid.

            We hung out in the park where the guys skated around and showed me some new tricks they’d been working on. We laughed and joked around and to be completely honest, it was great getting to flirt with a bunch of guys without having to worry about getting s.hit from Kel about it later.

            I’d been surprised by how much Cody flirted with me in front of his friends- we both agreed they couldn’t know we liked each other. When they found out, they’d tell Kelli. And when Kelli found out, I’d be the one at fault. Rightfully so, but I wasn’t prepared to face the guilt and repercussions of stealing my best friend’s boyfriend.

            Cody had been hugging me closely, letting me sit on his lap, carrying me, and my all-time favorite, cocking his head back while raising his eyebrows slightly and clicking his tongue when I looked hot, which I liked to call getting his approval.

            “You’re lookin’ hot, Brooke,” I got his approval as I held Graham’s hands as he lead me on the skateboard.

            I turned back, shocked he said that in front of everyone. I couldn’t help but let my jaw drop and eyes widen but all Cody did was laugh and bite his bottom lip that was in a half smile. “Babe, come here,” he said to me. His friends looked at each other with narrowed eyebrows and O-shaped lips, to see if the others had heard what they’d just heard.

            “What the fuck? No,” Carter mouthed and shook his head. I got off the board anyway, not being able to resist Cody. “My name is Brooke,” I corrected him, but only to put on a show for our friends so they wouldn’t suspect anything. Cody sat on the railing put up in front of some flowers and I walked up close to him, his legs on either side of me.

            “You can’t say that in front of them,” I whispered, his hands dangerously close to my ass.

            “I’m sorry. Just wanted to say thanks again for that picture you sent me,” the left corner of his mouth raised.

            “Shhhh,” I shook my head but still tried to keep it as still as I could at the same time. His friends could not know I sent him that. “I sent you that so you can think of me while we’re together but not act like this.”

            “Looking at this picture and looking at you now…” he bit his lip. I couldn’t, I was gonna die. He was too hot. I thought I was going to have to physically remove myself from his grip before I kissed him right then and there.

             Fortunately, I didn’t have to. “Shit, Kelli’s calling me,” Cody pushed me off of him. I stumbled back, catching my balance as he answered, “Hey babe, I miss you.”

            I shouldn’t have, but I wanted to cry.

         Cody walked off until he was out of earshot from us. I stared at him, wondering what he could possibly be talking to Kelli about. I hated myself for loving him. I never should have kissed him last week. I just created an even bigger problem for myself.

            I obviously couldn’t tell anyone about Cody. And even if Cody broke up with Kelli, that wouldn’t do any good. I can’t date my best friend’s ex-boyfriend. I was screwed either way. And of course I could tell him I didn’t want to hook up with him anymore and go back to how it was before. But I didn’t.

            The guys seemed to ignore it, like they thought nothing was wrong. Well, all the guys except for one.

            “What was that about?” Graham asked as I stepped back on the skateboard and he pulled me farther from all the guys.

            “What?”

            “You and Cody…” he said like it was obvious.

            “Nothing…?” I said as if I were confused and insulted.

            “Every time we hang out you guys seem to be into each other. There’s a lot of flirting around and getting really close and smiling and winking and stuff. The other guys have noticed it too but think they’re wrong because they know how much he loves Kelli, and how much you’re supposed to love her too,” he said.

            “What is that supposed to mean?” I stepped off the board and stared at him with both eyebrows raised, bent inward. Was he trying to say I wasn’t a good friend to Kelli?? After she’s the one who left me to deal on my own when she knew how much I needed someone? This is just like when Cody tried to accuse me of being the bad friend in the relationship. There’s a difference between being a bad friend and the prettier friend. But is that my fault?

            “Nothing,” he said. “I mean, it’s obvious that there’s something going on between you and Kelli but neither of you will admit it. But hooking up with Cody isn’t the way to solve your problems, you need to talk to her.”

            “I’m not hooking up with him! I don’t know why you think I am!”

          “That hickey last week? That wasn’t from Kelli. It was from you,” he said blatantly.

            “No it wasn’t!” I defended myself.

           “Brooke,” he took a deep breath. “I saw you. Through the window when we were walking back into the house after getting the food. I mean, don’t worry, I didn’t bring the other guys’ attention to it because I knew all the shit that would go down if I did. But just because I haven’t yet doesn’t mean I won’t.”