Chapter One: Meet Cynefrith

"Cyn! Mrs. Everglow says it's time for dinner!"

"Urgh...," Cynefrith climbed out of bed groggily. "What time is it?"

Alyssa, Cynefrith's best friend, burst in the door. "It's in the fifth hour of tyx, silly." Tyx was the sun on the world of Malgaea.

"What?!" Cynefrith exclaimed, agast. "I missed the whole day?!"

"Yep. We let you sleep, seeing as you have a big day tomorrow."

"Oh no," Cynefrith groaned. "I forgot to write my speech."

Alyssa giggled. "You didn't forget, you did it yesterday. C'mon, we're gonna get in trouble if we don't get down there quickly."

***

At dinner, Cynefrith sat between Alyssa and Kylo, his two best friends. Kylo was the orphaned son of the old monarchs, Queen Lux and her husband, King Rexdie Ren. Kylo was a rather dark child, playing practical jokes on some people that many thought "went too far," but ever since Cynefrith and Alyssa became his friends, he stopped playing the cruel jokes.

"Pass the salt, Lys," said Cynefrith.

Passing Cynefrith the salt, Alyssa asked Kylo, "Potatoes?"

His deep voice, quiet as the void, said, "No thanks, Lys." Kylo frowned. "I thought today was chicken pot pie?"

Just then, Mrs. Everglow, the matron of the orphanage, passed by and said in her slightly quavering voice, "Oh, my dear, the cook decided a change was due today." She sighed. "And I was really looking forwards to it to!"
Alyssa laughed softly. "There's always tomorrow, Mrs. Everglow."

"Of course, dear Alyssa."