The End

The image on the screen was Maxon in the hands of the rebels. I couldn't believe my eyes, couldn't hear a word coming at me, didn't notice Marlee rushing toward me until I was wrapped tightly in her arms. Marlee. When had she come? Why was she hear?

"Shh, America. America calm down, look at me," Marlee said.

Between sobs I managed to choke out, "Marlee? What...are you doing...here?"

They evacuated the palace and thought it would be best for me and Carter to come here, to keep you, Maxon, and the kids company.

"Maxon," I sobbed. Just then a sharp noise came out of the television. It was the lead rebel firing into the air, silencing the crowd that had gathered at the horror happening right outside the palaces front door.

"Let me make myself clear," came his voice, staticky. "For far too long we have been persecuted, put down, and punished for the acts of our ancestors. No more. No longer are we, the true people of Illéa, going to sit back and let this persecution continue." The cold look in his eyes told me he fully believed in what he was saying. Maxon was on his knees beside him, head hung low in shame. I couldn't watch any longer and turned my eyes back to the rebel. "Before me sits the leader of our nightmares. Nothing he or his wife have done or can do will ever erase the past. Tonight, I ensure that this torment will no longer continue." He raised his gun up to Maxon's head. A breath. A pause. His finger tightened on the trigger and...

—•—•—•—•—

My eyes snap open. My breathing is uncontrollable. I whip myself up into a sitting position. I'm in the palace, I think between gasps.

Maxon quickly sits up beside me. Maxon. Alive. "America!" He sounds frantic. "Are you...are you alright?"

It's then all of the emotions that have been building up inside of me pour out. I'm sobbing uncontrollably into Maxon's arms. "Oh, Maxon, I've just had the most wonderful and terrible dream."