Chapter 13: Absolute Power

[[Alexander || 21 April 17 B.C.E]]

'My Dearest Elios,

I would love to explain to you the horrible time I have had in Rome.

However, my dearest friend, I am afraid that doing so would take a

tragically unlimited amount of papers. My beloved husband was almost

murdered out of arrogant ambition. I am so glad he had recovered quickly.

We are onour way to Gaul, to visit Agrippa. Then finally when Summer

comes we will returnhome, and I will get to see you

and your adoring children again. I hope you are

fair my dear friend. I miss you so terribly. This will be the last time

I set foot on Roman soil, I assure you. My attention will be for my country:

Mauretania. I hope to see you soon, Elios.

Queen Kleopatra Selene'

I smiled at my sister's letter to me and folded it, stuffing it back into my parchment box. With a smile bright on my face, I looked up and found that my hair looked nice cut short. It was not so blonde, and I looked like my mother, rather than a no one. I would attend court again this morning, as I always do, and this time, I will bring those Emesene, Berbers, and Moors to follow my leadership. The Emesene Prince Ammayas is growing very ambitious in court and the Berbers are annoyed. They desire him to disappear from court. On the other hand, the Princess Roxana is to be married very soon. To Phillip's dismay, it is not to him. Roxana will marry the Berber Prince Galel, as Juba had written to me. The Armenian Princess with the Berber Prince, would make a handsome alliance and would prevent the Berbers of Mauretania from rising against Juba - not that Galel is a worthy adversary to Juba. This was a bribe. Juba intended to quiet Galel with a pretty bride and a pretty dowry. The King of Armenia is a fool for giving away his daughter Roxana to a penniless and hopeless noble.

I looked away from the mirror and strode out of my chamber. The mansion glimmered with springtime, and so did my children. They were ecstatic every morning when I got out of the room. I picked them up, one by one, answering their questions before setting them down, to munch on jentaculum. I kissed my wife farewell before venturing off on Flama to the great forum in Caesarea.

In the great chamber, I took my stand, dressed in the most exquisite toga the Berbers have ever seen.

"Gentlemen," I announced with a Kingly tone, "as Regent while the King is not present, I must execute his laws - as you all must realize. Do not pine for me to get you favor and do not envy me because you have none, comply and maybe you will receive Mauretania will become a great nation of Rome. It is our national duty, to make it known - especially to Rome - that we are a convenient ally, unlike Judaea." Sensing the stirring amongst the men, I corrected my biased tone, "However, Judaea has constructed plenty of beautiful buildings, and I must give them that. We have Augustus' trust, and we must prove that we are deserving of such a gift. I have lists of improvements from the King and Queen themselves," I passed them to minor attendants and watched them show the scrolls around, "they expect these buildings to have started upon their return. We have a mission gentlemen: To make Mauretania great."