Chapter Fourteen

Jenna awoke to the sound of Hanna praying. Isn't she a Gema? Jenna thought to herself. It had made her heart so happy. She slightly rolled up her shirt to see if her rib was getting better. Surprisingly, it was healing so quickly. No wonder this was such a safe place and they gave her a lovely room with a balcony, making her think of Liam's room. It was definitely God's favor. She took it all in with disbelief and amazement. She walked out and caught Hanna praying, looking at her with a smile.

        Hanna stopped from praying and looked up to Jenna. "Good morning!" She said with a bright smile that reminded her of her mother's. "The girls just left to school and you awoke to perfect timing of having coffee." 

       "Goodmorning..." Jenna looked at her in confusion, but it was a good confusion. "Aren't you a Gema?" Jenna asked.

       "A Gema saved by the grace of God," Hanna said as she giggled. I would love to talk to you all about it with coffee?" Hanna insisted. 

      "Sure!" She said as she followed Hanna to her enormous kitchen. 

      "So, I notice that you don't have a husband around here?" Jenna asked hesitantly, hoping it wasn't a touchy subject for her. 

      "Yeah, about that. He passed a year and a half ago. He came into disagreement with one of the chief's high men and he was killed because of it," she said as she poured them both coffee with some creamer. Jenna was surprised it wasn't tea. The Paynes were more for tea than they were for coffee. 

       "Oh, I'm so sorry..." Jenna honestly felt quite uncomfortable and felt bad for her at the same time. "So how did you come to start a relationship with God?"

      Hanna passed her a cup of coffee as they went outside and sat in her yard. "Well, it started when my husband died. I didn't know how to deal with my grief. I guess you can say I went into this really deep depression that I didn't know how to get out of," she said as she sipped some of her warm coffee. "I didn't know where to turn to and I was mad at God for a long time for a lot of crazy things that have happened in my past. But that time of deepest grief has really led me to Him and it encouraged me to believe that in every situation, God always remains the same."

       "I agree," Jenna said as she naturally smiled. 

       They both sat there and talked about how good God was for hours and hours. Jenna had always wanted community like this. Jenna prayed that the Paynes would have community like Hanna. The crazy thing was that Hanna reminded her of her mother. She did everything with such grace and she found so much joy in her. It made her really miss her parents. She constantly thought if they were even alive. 

       As Liam walked into Jasmine's room, she was writing in her journal as he happened to look at a familiar book on her bed. The Bible. "Where did you get that from, sissy?" He asked as he was staring at the Bible sitting on her bed. 

      Jasmine gasped as she quickly tried to hide it. "Oh my gosh! Please don't kill me--" She gave him a terrified look, thinking about what he has done to people in the past who he saw had a Bible.

      Liam gestured for Jasmine to stop talking. "It's okay. Can I just see it for now?"

     Jasmine looked at him in shock and confusion. "For what?"

     "Just to see it..." Liam said in an uncomfortable tone.

     Jasmine shrugged her shoulders. "Sure! As long as you give it back," she said, trusting him as she took her Bible and reached it out so he can grab it.