Damien's Date

Walking into the hallway at school, I could feel the atmosphere change. All eyes turned toward me, unabashedly staring. It was a little unnerving and had me dashing for my locker. Even Derek and Viviana were staring at me. Oddly enough they had the decency to attempt to hide it but I know them too well.

"So..." Viviana started, drawing out the 'o'. I raised an eyebrow waiting for her to continue but she shut up and she eyed someone behind me warily. I turned around and almost cringed when I saw Jack and his puppies. The thing was, instead of glaring at me they were all looking anywhere but directly at me and shifting nervously from foot to foot. Jack caught my eye and quickly looked down at his feet as if they were suddenly interesting.

"Hey, um I wanted to apologize for the other day. I took it way too far, and you don't need me bullying you. So if you could just forgive me I'll be on my way..." he trailed off, glancing at the hallway behind me. Confusion knitted my eyebrows together but I nodded nonetheless and the group scampered off as quick as possible.

"What was that about?" I questioned as I turned back to my friends. I found them fighting back laughter, ultimately giving in and laughing loud enough to echo off the walls of the hallway. I gave them a 'WTF' look as they wiped tears from their eyes.

"You, Rune, have just successfully become the first person to EVER make big bad bully Jack almost piss his pants in fright!" Derek got out between gasps. The only question I could formulate was why?

Unaware that I had said it aloud, Viviana answered with a shrug of her still shaking frame and gasped out, "Who cares! That was the funniest thing ever!" I rolled my eyes dramatically and headed toward class as the bell rang.

My heart started pounding faster and faster and it wasn't till I walked into class that I figured out why. Sitting next to my usual seat was Damien, who immediately locked eyes with me and smiled softly. Of their own accord my feet sped up to get to my seat.

"Hi," Damien said as I sat down. I mumbled back a greeting and watched how his smile sagged a little. No way. Could Damien actually like me? I puzzled over this the whole class period and made a fool of myself twice as my teacher asked me questions about the lesson I wasn't paying attention to.

After the bell rang I was a bit sluggish in packing up and heading to my other classes much to Derek and Viviana's confusion. They tried striking up conversation with me but finally gave up after I kept zoning out on them. And so this continued all the way up until lunch when they confronted me about it.

"Dude," Derek questioned, "what's up with you lately? Your zoning out all the time now and won't tell me and Vivs what's wrong. That's not like you."

"Yeah, and it starts with Damien," Viviana added. "Did you lie to me when you said I should go after him and you're upset about me wanting him? Because if so I won't go after him, I don't want to lose my friend over this." Her lower lip stuck out and trembled like the drama queen we all know her to be.

"No it's not that," I waved it off. "I just, I don't know honestly. I can't seem to get Damien out of my head. He even showed up to my house to-"

"Wait he showed up at your house yesterday?" Viviana cut me off. I nodded.

"So that's why the dude went missing after third hour," Derek said to no one in particular.

"What happened?" Viviana rushed. So I told them.

"Bro, Damien likes you," Derek stated casually. My eyes bugged out of my head. Damien? Liking ME? What the hell? Before I could deny it Vikki started up again.

"Not only did he save you from the douchebags and whoop their asses, but he checked up on you and made you lunch. Wow, Damien really DOES like you. Figures, the hot ones are always gay," she pouted the last part.