Disortion

A/U In this story, Nathan is "sorta"an asshole but he has nothing to do with Jefferson, is already distant friends with Max, and never tried to shoot/drug Chloe (although they have a bad history), andddd is in the same photography class as Max. 😉

I took the cigarette from between my lips, watching as Max and Warren socialized near his shitty, blue car. She laughs and he stares. Fuck, she is so damn oblivious, the asshole is clearly in love.

But so am I.

I got up, heading towards Jefferson's room, since we have class this morning.
Halfway there I hear a voice behind me.
"Nathan!"
I turn around, my hands in my pockets.
Max is trying to catch up, and she stops in front of me. "Hey Nathan, did you happen to have notes for Mrs.Grant's class from Friday? I was out sick last week."

"Yeah, my stuff is in Jefferson's already."

"Cool, we're both going there anyway. Thank you!" She says, her smile beaming.
I'm almost tempted to kiss her.

"Er... no problem." I say, biting my inner cheek.
I start walking, her next to me.
She turns her head to admire a squirrel on a bench, but returns her eyes up to me for a split second.
When we get to the main building, I hold the door open for her. Before Max can say thank you, one of those dumb jocks bumps into her, almost knocking her over.
Zachary.

I open my mouth, knowing I won't regret this.
"Hey asshole, watch where you're going. Fucking dumbass."

He looks at me, "Watch it Prescott, just because your family owns the school doesn't mean I won't kick your ass." He says, pushing me back with one hand.

"Try it, fucker. I'll sue you down to your fucking jersey." I spit, wiping my jacket where his hand touched.
He walks off, muttering something along the lines of "Shitbag."

"Nathan...?"
"Yeah?" I say, pushing my hair back as I look down at Max.

"Are you alright? You didn't have to freak out on Zachary like that, he's just another one of those typical dumb jocks."

"Yeah, I'm fine. But that asshole can't go around doing that to girls, especially not in front of me."

"Well thank you, for holding the door open and 'smacking' him down for me." She says, adjusting her bag.

"N-No problem."

We enter the classroom, and of course Victoria is already in there, talking up Jefferson.
What a whore.
Max goes to sit down, and gets her stuff out.
When she takes her camera out, I study it.
I sit myself down on top of her table, and pick up the camera.
"Hope you don't mind me looking at it, it's just a really badass camera."
"Sure, no problem."
I fiddle with the camera in my hands, until I remember Max wanted my notes. I set her camera down, and go over to the table I sit at to get my stuff. I dig through my bag, finding the stapled notes in a folder.
I take them back to Max, and she smiles at me.
"Thanks, I'll give them back, hopefully by the end of this period."
I smile back at her, and realize how foreign it feels to me.
The bell rings and I go over to my table, near Kate. Everyone from other classes scatters quickly before Jefferson can give them a beat down.
"Okay, today we're going to be talking about Ambient light and Artificial light. If you read the assigned chapters, you would know the differences. Although, hence the name, you can easily guess what Artificial light is. I'm sure Victoria here read well past the chapters..." Vic smirks at Max, and looks back to Jefferson.
I look at Max, who smiles at me. I look away, and turn towards Jefferson. He is crossing his arms at me.
"Nathan." He clears his throat. "Since you're obviously so interested in Miss Caulfield, I hope you don't mind me asking you to tell me about the history of the photographic process, Dye-Transfer."
"Shit, at least give me a challenge. Dye-transfer was introduced by Technicolor. It was popularized by Easton Kodak around the 1940s for general-purpose graphic art work, but not for motion picture work. It al-"
"Okay, Nathan. I guess you know you stuff, but please pay attention, unless you want to talk about Carbon-print or Agfacolor all day."
"Gee, and here I was wanting to go on about Alphabetic coding."
I hear a small laugh, probably Max.
Jefferson turns away, and begins talking about Aberration, and of course we have to take notes on the different types.
Spherical
Curvature of field
Coma
Distortion
Astigmatism
Chromatic
And then the bell rings before we go any further.
Victoria walks over.
Shoot me.
"Nathan, are you going to the Vortex party tonight? Courtney needs to know before we get the ...you know."
"Yeah, maybe."
"Maybe? Okay, like I said, Courtney needs to know."
"God, you guys can't figure out what to do if you end up having an extra bag of weed or two? Chill the fuck out, it's not a big deal."
"Not a big deal? Okay, you try handling all of the shit for the party." I roll my eyes and sling my bag on my shoulder, and leave the classroom. I look for Max, and she's over by the bathroom talking to...her, that bitch Chloe.
I walk over to her, smiling and Chloe looks over at me.
"Woah, Max! You're friends with a fucking Prescott?" She says sarcastically.
"Chloe, don't be rude. Anyway, Nathan, here's the notes." She says, handing them to me.
"Thanks, by the way, you wanna head down to two-whales?"
Chloe grabs her hand.
"Nah, she's with me."
"Since when were you into girls, Caulfield?"
Max rolls her eyes, "She's just being clingy. Yeah, I'll go. Chloe, you're coming with me."
"And i'm clingy."
-
I put my truck into park, and stepped out. I go over to Max's side and open the door for her.
"What about me?" Chloe asks.
"Fuck off." I mouth.
"Asshole."
"Guys, can you stop arguing? I don't even get why you hate each other."
"I'll explain inside." Chloe whispers to her.
"Don't." I say, my teeth clenched.
She smirks and hooks her arm with Max's, and heads inside. Max stops at the door to hold it open for me.
"Thought I'd return the favor..." She says happily.
"Thanks, but it wasn't a big deal. It was jus-"
"Don't be an asshole, Nathan. She's just being nice."
"I'm not being an asshole, I'm just saying it wasn't a big deal for me to take care of some rude dumbass."
Chloe grabs Max by the arm and pulls her into a booth.
They sit together and I sit on the opposite side, by myself.
"Clo, you've been clinging to me for weeks now, don't you think I can just sit by Nathan and not have you groping me while I eat?"
I snicker and Chloe gives me 'the evil eye'.
Max moves over to sit next to me, and I put my arm over her shoulder and stick my tongue out at Chloe.
"Are you guys secretly doing each other and I just don't know about it?"
"Hey, dyke, enough."
Max rolls her eyes and looks up at me.
"So why is it you two hate each other?"
"Because I got him busted for trying to steal the Tobanga."
"You tried to steal it? That statue by the dorms?"
"Yeah..."
Max kisses my cheek, without warning, and I almost jump out of the booth from shock.
I push my hair back with my hand, and Chloe looks over.
"Ooo La La! Get some, Max!"
"Chloe, grow up."
I cup her cheek, and place my lips on hers.
They aren't going to stay there long, because I don't want to hear Chloe complain.
"Get a room!"
I mumble fuck you, and place my mouth back to Max's.

Okay, I mentioned there'd be a second chapter but I'm having second thoughts, although the title makes sense. Nathan is a true asshole to everyone, and that's his typical 'image'. He plays nice to Max, obviously because he likes her but he's really not nice, so he's creating a false attitude towards her. (and her only) Although, him being nice, while good, is also something he should work on towards others such as Chloe.