Chapter 3

One Sunday late afternoon, the Mann family was returning home from church held this winter in one of the area's largest homes. Papa and Ernest were sauntering along at a faster pace than the rest of the family. Papa carried little Adalee on his shoulders and was further clarifying today's sermon to Ernest. Albert was trying to trot fast enough to keep up with Papa and occasionally scurried several paces ahead of Papa and Ernest. Emma and Lana hung back with Mama.

From the clearing appeared a stumbling, red nosed drunk with crumpled, weathered clothes and disheveled hair. He crossed their path about 30 yards ahead as he took a shortcut home. He was carrying a crock of liquor with him. Struggling to carry it without spilling any, he stopped to take another swig. The Manns recognized him as Herr Hans Bachmeier, a well known,local drunk.

Emma muttered, "What a wicked man!"

Mama elbowed her. "Shh!"

After he was out of earshot, Mama asked, "Why is he wicked?"

"He's always drinking that liquor and people say he beats his wife and kids."

Lana added, "Yes, he should be good and go to church."

"First of all, Lana, church is meant mainly for believers, although he'd be welcome. Going to church won't make Herr Bachmeier a good man. Do you understand, girls?"

Their confused looks urged on Frau Mann. "Liquor in itself isn't wicked. We use a little to preserve our medicinal herbs. You remember we drink a little when a wound must be stitched up or a spoonful at a time of our home medicinal tinctures. The problem isn't in the liquor, but in Herr Bachmeier's heart. The problem is in all of our hearts. The Bible says in Jeremiah 17:9- 'The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?' So the heart within us is where the evil hides. The heart lies even to ourselves and makes us believe we are good. The proof of our wickedness is shown in our thoughts, in what we say, and in what we do."

"But Mama," countered Emma, "You and Papa aren't wicked like Herr Bachmeier! He's wicked!"

Bending down to give her girls a quick, tight hug, Frau Ada Mann smiled slightly. Then she grew serious once again as they ambled onward.

"Only by the grace of God do we have any good in us at all, girls! Romans 3:10 says, 'There is none righteous, no, not one.' and verse 23 says, 'For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.' The only difference is your papa and I asked the Lord God to forgive us and promised to let Him be boss of our lives. We are changed inside. Inside us now we get a nudge to do right and to avoid any wickedness."

Looking up and nodding occasionally at Mama, Emma and Lana appeared somberly deep in thought as they silently trudged homeward.

"Herr Bachmeier doesn't have that nudge or the great joy we have inside us. He didn't plan to be a drunk. He just drank more than enough for medicine and his heart told him he felt better. He tries to drink all the liquor he can to take the pain, sadness, and emptiness away. Then because the liquor takes control, Herr Bachmeier hurts those he loves."

"Instead of calling him wicked, we must be kind to Herr Bachmeier and pray for him and his family. Let's pray right now, girls."

After Frau Mann's prayer for the Bachmeier family as they continued walking, Mama realized she hadn't visited them recently. "Speaking of them, it's time for us to pay a visit to Frau Bachmeier. We must see if there's something we can do to help besides prayer."

* * * * * * * *

"Hey, it's perfect! Check out the snow!" Ernest shouted. The first heavy snowfall had just fallen during the night and the Mann children awoke with delight to discover the outdoors covered thickly. Ernest showed the children just how perfectly heavy and wet it was by forming a snowball. Their big brother also announced, "I don't even have to go to Bruder Schneider's today."