Chapter 6

Gazing out the housebarn door, Frau Ada Mann enjoyed a few moments of reflection on the beauty of the morning. The thick, billowing fog that had drawn Ernest in and enveloped him on his way to the cobbler shop earlier, was now lifting. With another prayer for her son still on her lips, Ada stood transfixed at the sight of buds on the trees, grassy hillsides turning a brilliant green, the golden, rising sun promising more warmth . . . and oh . . . the refreshing aroma of Spring! A slight, cool breeze floated in, catching loose wisps of her hair and lightly swishing her skirt. Breathing the freshness in deeply and smoothing the loose hairs back into a tight bun, she turned back to her family.

Emma and Lana were just finishing the dishes and Heinrich was helping Albert and Adalee build a sturdier tower, which was growing quite tall. Pa counted, "One, two, three!" and Albert and Adalee knocked it down together with glee.

"Heinrich, it's such a beautiful day! The fog has finally lifted and it's getting warmer. Would it be alright if we went to Herrenberg for a few supplies?"

"Well, I think that's a fine idea! Soon we'll all be busy planting the fields and garden, so we'd better enjoy days like this while they last. I'll go get the horses hitched up. Come on, Albert!"

"Papa, please can I come? I wanna give the horsies a carrot," Adalee implored Pa pleadingly.

"Sure, why not? Lana, help Adalee get a couple carrots from the fruit cellar and meet us there."

While the girls scampered out to retrieve carrots, Papa and Albert headed for the barn's half of their house, which was just on the other side of their living quarter's wall. Papa took the harnesses off the wall and handed one to Albert to hold.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed something dark move behind the horses in their stall. It was a nonpoisonous snake, but that didn't matter to the horses. Just then, the younger chestnut brown mare, Frisky, spied the snake and reared up. With wild, dark eyes, Frisky fled for the door. Farthest away from Papa, he only had time to steady the other mare, Fran, and pull Albert aside.

Meanwhile Adalee and Lana strolled up with questioning looks at hearing the alarmed whinnying. Papa yelled, "Go! Run!" Lana stepped quickly aside, but Adalee only screamed, remaining glued in place as Frisky flew out the door.

Mama and Emma came running just in time to see Adalee trampled upon as Frisky fled. A hoof hit her chest and thrust her to the ground with a thud. Another stepped on the side of her head and a third pressed below her abdomen. Low moans replaced the screams.

With the harmless snake long since slithered away, Papa rushed over with Mama to Adalee's motionless form.

Mama cried out, "No! No! My baby!"

It seemed to take forever for Papa to catch Frisky and calm her as he brought her back. Then there was the hitching to the wagon. Heinrich's fingers fumbled as he tried to hasten the process.

As Ada stood by the wagon and held their youngest in her arms, she tried not to show how frantic she felt inside. She blanched as she noted the toddler's moans had silenced and she had fallen into a strangely silent sleep. Ada said silent, continual prayers that somehow she would be healed.

Then they sped off for the best doctor in Herrenberg. There was no reason to try the closest local doctor or the midwives with their knowledge of herbs and tinctures. Their daughter's injury demanded the best care, beyond what the locals could offer.

The wagon ride was uncharacteristically silent. The children knew this was no time for the usual banter and chatter. Mama led them in prayer, pleading for Adalee's life. Ada almost rejoiced when Adalee stirred, but she only vomited blood and settled back into her too quiet slumber.