Chapter 9

Chapter 9

            Hopping happily off the stool, I joined Fred, George, and Lee at the Gryffindor table. After that, the Sorting passed by quickly. Ron and Harry were both sorted into Gryffindor, and as they both walked past I gave them an encouraging smile.

            The feast was delicious. Umbridge had never given me meat so juicy, sides so flavorful, or desserts that were as decadent as the ones Hogwarts served. I never ate so much in my life; nor had I seen someone eat as much and as viciously as Ron had.

            “So what’s the rest of Gryffindor like?” I turned to Fred.

            “Pretty cool, but there’s the occasional git in every house,” he replied. He also gave a cough that sounded faintly like ‘Percy’. I laughed.

            “I’d advise you stay away from the Slytherins, though. They can be a bit….well, pushy,” Lee inputted.

            “Come on now, I’m sure there’s at least ONE person who isn’t like that,” I said, thoroughly unconvinced.

            “Yeah, there might be one,” Fred replied.

            “Every fifty years!” George finished. I laughed with them, even though I was still doubtful.

            We continued to munch contently on the food. Soon enough, Dumbledore proclaimed that the feast was over; and that we should sing the school song.

            “Pick your favorite tune,” he began. “And let’s begin!” He waved his wand and lyrics appeared out of nowhere in front of him.

            This may sound rude, but it sounded like chaos erupted from everybody’s mouths. Everyone finished at different times, and by the end, only the twins remained, singing to a slow funeral march.

            “I have a few words for you: Nitwit! Oddment! Blubber! Tweak! Now off to bed!” Dumbledore smiled.

            “Ummm… did that just happen?” I asked Lee.

            “That was normal at Dumbledore’s standards,” Lee responded.

            “I guess I should get used to it then…”  I sighed. At that moment, Percy came and collected me from my group of new friends. He grabbed my arm and yanked me across the hall until I was with the other first years.

            “Come along! Gryffindor Tower awaits!” Percy said diplomatically. I rolled my eyes and followed. He led us through hallway after hallway, and up staircase after staircase. “Be careful of the stairs,” he said. “They like to change.”

            Above us, a low rumble exploded from one of the staircase. I looked up. The staircase dislodged itself from its position and slowly turned ninety degrees to link up with another hallway jutting out. We continued to climb stairs. My legs began to burn and ache from the activity, and suddenly, the students in front of me halted in front of a painting.

            “Guys, it’s just a painting. Let’s keep going,” I urged, eager to find my bed and collapse into a deep sleep.

            “Actually, it’s more than just a painting, Julianna,” I heard Percy say at the front of the group. “It’s the door to the Gryffindor Tower.”

            Unexpectedly (like most of the features at this castle), the painting woke up, and the picture inside it moved. I shuffled forward, trying to get a better look. It was a painting of a very fat lady wearing a pink chiffon dress holding a fan. She gracefully moved her hand away from her face and said: “Password?”

            “Caput Draconis,” Percy answered. The lady nodded, and gradually the whole painting swung open like a door; revealing a room. “Come along, quickly, quickly!” Percy shrilled.

            Walking into the room flooded me with a warm, happy glow. There was a red patterned Persian carpet on the floor that matched the many red-themed tapestries on the walls. Several armchairs and couches sat near the fire, crackling happily, soaking up the warmth that I longed to feel.

            “Boy’s dormitories up the stairs and to your left; girls, the same to your right. Welcome to Gryffindor,” Percy said, and rushed off to one of the desks; where he pulled a book out of his robes. Fred and George walked into the common room with Lee not too long after I collapsed onto an armchair, the one closest to the fire. They sat on the sofa next to me.

            “How’s the common room doing you?” Fred asked.

            “So…so well…” I yawned. “You know, I think I’ll…I’ll go to b-b-b-bed.”

            “’Night,” they all said in unison. I waved to them sleepily and went up the stairs. I pushed open the door of the girl’s dormitory, expecting peace, quiet, warmth, and tranquility. But that’s not what I got at all. Five girls were having a massive pillow fight—the dorm was filled with screeches, feathers and haphazard clothing items from an unpacking session that was left unfinished.

            “Hi,” I said, trying to get their attention. “I’m Julianna!”

            Suddenly, the fighting stopped. Everyone froze. But two girls stepped up.

            “I’m Hazel,” one with light red hair smiled.

            “And I’m Jayce,” said the other girl. She had tan-blond hair and glasses. “Welcome to the party.”