Chapter 11 (this is a complete and total train wreck)

Chapter 11

   Transfiguration passed by slowly. I don’t recall hearing the words ‘wand’ or ‘magic’ even once—McGonagall just rambled on and on describing in grueling detail of what she expected from us, all the homework we’d have, all the time we’d have to spend on it…..

   When all of the students filed out of the classroom I walked anxiously towards Professor McGonagall’s desk. Her quill scribbled furiously across a sheet of parchment, a bemused expression on her thin lips.

   “Er—Professor? Is this a bad time? You said you wanted to see me so—“ I started.

   “Miss Harcourt, you’ve had wonderful timing,” McGonagall gave a small smile, though it was obviously not genuine. “I’d like to discuss the bit of magic you performed at the beginning of class.”

  “Oh, that….” I trailed off, in a befuddled stupor. What was going on? This was a magic school, surely I was allowed to do magic! “Well, I read the first page of the book, and I really enjoyed it. I really must say, you picked a wonderful branch of magic to teach. The whole thing about waving wands correctly? Wow. I am a changed woman. And then the part about concentration? That page was the only thing I could concentrate on. And then—“

  “You’re very amusing, Miss Harcourt,” McGonagall interrupted, most definitely not amused. “Have you known Transfiguration previously?”

   “No. Like I said, I read the first page of the book and I was captured. I flipped to the middle of the book, read the first paragraph, looked at the picture, waved my wand and—boom! There was a kitten on my desk,” I explained animatedly.

  McGonagall gave a dry laugh. “That’s very unusual for a first year to look at a picture and produce a kitten within two minutes. Could you maybe…try doing something else?” She leaned towards me with rapt attention and interest.

  “I guess so,” I replied casually. I pulled my wand out of robes, delighted by the tingling sensation the fabric gave me as it brushed my hand. Pointing my wand at the nearest desk, I thought for a moment. Hmmm, I’ve always wanted to see a parrot in a cage. Grimacing to myself, I waved my wand.

   An annoyed chirp burst through the air. Once the tornado of feathers cleared, a parrot sat on a perch in a gilded cage, looking royal and arrogant. The bird was cobalt blue, splotched with blood red and a blinding yellow. He was obviously the king of the tropics.

  “Intriguing,” McGonagall murmured. She stared at the ceiling thoughtfully, thinking through something very important. Just by the way her mouth curved and twitched I could tell this was an important decision.

   “Miss Harcourt?”

   “Yes?

   “How would you feel about moving up to third year Transfiguration?”

*********

“So, how was your first day dear?” George asked in an annoying sing song voice.

“Tell me darling, I’m absolutely DYING to know,” Fred continued, over-exaggerating his British accent.

“It went quite smoothly, actually. Met some weird people, who are still cool anyways, I’m moving up to your Transfiguration class already because I’m fantastic, and I don’t like Potions. Will that summary suffice for the both of you?” I replied before stuffing a roll in my mouth.

“OUR Transfiguration?!” Fred said, absolutely aghast.

“Isn’t that kind of normal? To move up?”

“Not at all!” George said. “What did you even do?”

“I conjured this kitten out of midair. It was a cute kitty,” I giggled.

“Do you still have the kitty?” Fred gave me big puppy dog eyes.

“No, sadly. I liked that kitty,” I frowned.

“Why do we even hang out with you if you can’t even hold on to a simple kitten for us?” George said shamefully.

“Why do you even hang out with me? I’m a first year. Get with the program guys.”

“You’re cool, that’s why,” Fred responded. He reached over me to grab the bowl of treacle tart. “Want some?”

“Sure,” I smiled.

Hey y’all. I’m sorry it’s been forever, and I’m sorry this chapter is so awfully short, conversational, and childish, but I’ve been feeling extremely insecure about my writing lately, this story in particular. It probably won’t be updated too much in the near future, but maybe I’ll find some time and some inspiration and good things will happen. J

Thank you for all the reads, you have no idea how much it means to me. It’s given me confidence to continue with this story and to enjoy myself on WattPad again. To anybody who reads this story, thank you from me, Julianna, Fred, George, Harry, Ron, Ginny, Percy, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Draco, Hermione, J.K. Rowling, and from the very bottom of my heart. Julianna’s Hogwarts experience is only happening because of you, so thank you.