Chapter Two

02: Moving Forward

THE UNIVERSE HAD it in for me, I was convinced.

     I couldn't quite believe that I was stood opposite the guy who had gotten me arrested. He had the effrontery to smile at me, as if nothing had happened. It made my blood boil, to the point where whatever happiness I had felt, suddenly vanished from me. I didn't think that I would have to see him again, and of all of the places that I could have bumped into him, it would be the one place that I felt I could truly be myself.

     Strolling in, he came over to where me and Rosie were standing. I averted my gaze away, so that I didn't have to look at him. I stared at the floor, aimlessly admiring my trainers, although being in the same room as him wasn't doing anything good for my souring mood.

     "Hey Rosie," he said.

     Just hearing his voice alone had me rolling my eyes discreetly and wanting to reach out and strangle him. I focused my attention on anything else that didn't involve him, before I actually did something that I knew I probably wouldn't regret, but would definitely cost me my job.

     Aaron would definitely not be happy with me if I could barely last a day at a receptionist job.

     "Zac," Rosie greeted. "Why is it so hard for you to stay out of trouble?"

     This caused me to frown, as to how she was aware of his track record with the police. Before I could allow myself to think of several different scenarios and questions, what was said next astonished me.

     "It was just a bit of fun," Zac replied nonchalantly. "Blossom here, can explain, she was with me when it happened."

     I looked up to see both Zac and Rosie looking at me, expectantly.

     "Blossom?" I repeated, my shock evidently clear.

     "I didn't catch your name at the police station, and well, you remind me of that pink Powerpuff chick, Blossom." Zac went on to explain.

     My mood had only worsened and I was so close to just reaching forward and slapping him. "I don't even know you, and you think you can nickname me? You're the reason why I got arrested, for something that I didn't even do."

     "Well, you were found with stolen goods on you," he pointed out.

     "You must have put that in my pocket," I defended. "I have never broken the law, and I have never shoplifted before."

     "Until now." He remarked.

     I stepped forward, incensed at how calm and collected he was about the whole ordeal, and how he was trying to pin the blame onto me.

     "Ahem," Rosie signalled, getting both of our attention, before anything else could happen, which wouldn't have ended well on either of our parts. "I don't care what happened between you two, but you need to put it behind you, right now."

     "I haven't done anything wrong," Zac defended himself.

     I scoffed, "Yeah, of course you haven't."

     "Flo, I don't want us to get on the wrong foot about things on your first day," Rosie addressed to me, before turning her attention onto Zac. "Was there something that you wanted?"

     "Do I need a reason to come and see my favourite cousin?"

     Rosie and Zac were related; this day was deteriorating drastically for me by the passing minute. I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry, but knowing what I can be like, I would end up doing both.