2

b a m b i

After a while of tossing and turning, my eyes shot open in suspicion. The first thing my eyes saw was a boy about my age, leaning over, looking at me.

"h-hey..I'm Steven." He said, his cheeks turning red.

"I'm Bambi." I said and forced a smile.

"You gonna eat your jello?" He asked.

I shook my head.

"Alriiiiiiight." He said, slurping up the jello and I laughed.

He finished soon after, wiped off his face then said "so..why are you here? You seen pretty healthy and all."

"I have an eating disorder." I said "What'd about you?" I added, trying to change the subject.

"Oh, uh..I have cancer. I'm getting my head shaved soon!"

I laughed a little towards the end because of his randomness.

Just then our nurse Annie walked in. "Hello loves, just came to check up on you..I'm glad to see you two are getting friendly!" She said happily.

"Since you guys are staying here for a while, I'm gonna need to give you these bracelets." She informed us and we nodded.

I stuck my arm out so she could place it on. It fit loose since my wrist is as thin as a twig. (Not really)

As she was about to exit, she turned to Steven and said "oh and by the way, your mom will be here soon." Steven bounced in his seat with a goofy smile on his face. "yayayayay!" He shouted and the nurse chuckled before walking out.

"Wanna meet my mom?" He asked and I shrugged. "I guess, why?"

"Cause you're my only friend here and I want her to me you." He said with a mouth full of 'Cup-of-Noodles.' I laughed.

"Just be careful with her..she has a big mouth." He informed me.

As if on cue, a small Latina woman and two kids walked in. "Ay mijo que es esto?" She said loudly. "Oh my, son what is this?"

"It's our hospital room mom. And this is my new friend Bambi."

She looked at me with big eyes. I forced a smile and she looked away.

"What do you say if we were to get something to eat, I'm starving." His mom said and I laughed at her comment.

*

*

We walked down stairs to the cafeteria. Everyone nearly ran and I stayed behind. I really didn't want to be here but it's fine since Steven is trying to be nice and all.

"Hey Bambi sit next to me!" Steven boasted. I smiled and walked over towards him. I kind of felt a bit uncomfortable with the situation.

Everyone began to dig in to their pancakes while I looked at them. The smell made me nauseous. The clinking of metal spoons and forks on porcelain plates mocked me. I then realized Steven's mom was looking at me.

I smiled and she just continued to stare. "Why aren't you eating? It looks like you hadn't eaten in days." She laughed and Steven glared at her, clenching his fist. "Oh..that reminds me. Why are you here?" She asked bluntly.

"Uh I---"

"It's okay Bambi, you don't have to answer that." Steven said while placing his hand on my lap, sending chills throughout my body. It was a weird thing of him to do but I kinda liked it.

"C'mon Steven, let the young lady talk." His mom insisted.

"No mom..we should really get going before the nurse notices we see gone." Steven said before getting up out of his seat, I followed.

*

*

We were on our second flight of stairs when o began to feel extremely dizzy. I looked up to find more stairs, it seemed like they were never ending. My body swayed weakly.

Steven turned to me. "Are you okay?"

I shook my head. He walked down and said "here, wrap your arms around my neck." he turned around with his back towards me and I did what he instructed. He then grabbed my legs with his arms so it would be a proper piggy back ride.

We finally made it to the hospital room. Steven set me down on my bed. He hovered over me while smiling. "I'm sorry about what happened...I really shouldn't have made you go.." He said

"It's fine. You warned me." I said and forced out a laugh. My ribs felt as if they were about to burst open.

"Are you okay?" He said quietly. I shook my head and exhaled deeply. I held my stomach and closed my eyes.

The sound of Steven's footsteps faded.

"Nurse!" He shouted down the hall.

To be continued. . .