Prologue

A harsh wind blew through the town of Pirn. Everyone was getting ready for winter to come, carrying baskets of food and water from the wells. As everyone gathered their food together, a girl ran through the town holding a loaf of bread close to her chest. Behind her, two boys chased her, cursing at her as well. The people whispered, wondering what was going on, but did no such thing about it. No one wanted to get involved in someone stealing.

The girl then tripped on landed on the ground harshly. She tried to get back up, but one of the boys pinned her to the ground.

" You got her Ulric?" one of the boys asked. He nodded with a grin on his face. The girl tried to get back up, but a surge of electricity went through her body. She cried out in pain.

" You're really stupid," Ulric said. " My magic won't let you get up for a while." He frowned. " I never excepted anything much from the Peyton family. Though, Nova, I thought they raised you better than this."

Nova cringed in pain as Ulric tighten the grip on her arm. " What about you Ulric? Your family has been and always will be selfish."

" Borin, get father. He will take care of this Peyton." Nova bit her lip. She already encountered their father before, but imagine what he was gonna do when he found out she stole a loaf of bread. Borin nodded and left Ulric alone with Nova.

" May I get up now?" she asked, getting impatient.

" What makes you think that I will release you? You've stolen from our family lots of times, not paying for it."

" One reason is: the floor is freezing. I can tell my mother and father, as well as the town elder. Would you like your family to get involved with the elder?" she asked.
Ulric frowned and released her. " My father will still report you on your acts. This will dirty your family name."

" I will decide whether Nova pays for the crime." Behind them, the town elder, Aeduuard, walked forward.

" Elder Aeduuard," Ulric exclaimed. " I didn't see you there."

" What has Nova done this time?" Aeduuard asked. Nova gulped as his sharp green eyes looked at her. She scratched her arm lightly. " I'm sorry," she muttered.

" Ulric, tell your father I will take care of the payment for the loaf of bread. Allow Nova to have to for now." Ulric was about to resist, but he already knew he wouldn't win this. He nodded and left Aeduuard and Nova alone.

" What do you want?" Nova asked. " I understand you are close with my family, but why did you help me?" Aeduuard smiled. " Questions will be answered later, please come. I have something to show you."

He started to walk away as Nova stayed on the ground watching him walk. Aeduuard had been around for a long time, but Nova only knew some much about him. She sighed and followed him.

~

Nova followed Aeduuard to a hill. He stopped and looked at the town. " Elder Aeduuard what are you doing?" she asked.

" Come Nova, look at the view of the town." Sighing, she walked next to Aeduuard and looked at the town. Her eyes widened in amazement. Sure, Pirn wasn't beautiful like the other towns near the kingdom, but the trees around the town made it seem unusual from what she had always seen inside the town.

" Elder Aeduuard, what is the point of this?" Nova asked. He gave me a small smile. " Nova, I understand you don't enjoy Ulric and his family."

" Maybe enjoy isn't the word you're looking for. I have some others words for them." He sighed and continued. " Nova, they want to join the army one day and protect the princess. That is why you see them they way they are."