Chapter 2

Shadow Of the Sun

Nova was quick to cover the mark as Cassandra backed away in fear.

" You're one of them," she muttered. " The zodiac."

" Please," Nova whispered. " Don't tell anyone else. I don't know anything about this marking. People keep telling me that I will cause misfortune to everyone around me."

Cassandra's eyes widened in fear. " S-stay away."

" Please, Cassandra. I don't know what is happening to me. Explain to me." Cassandra took a deep breath and gave Nova a stern look.

" The people who are born with markings on them are told to have the power to rule the world, but that is a legend I heard when I was very young. Though, some people have gone and formed groups where they would look for them and kill them."

" Do those groups still exist today?" She asked. Cassandra shrugged.

" I have a feeling that they have expanded through the years. No news has come from them, but they have killed other zodiacs in the past--the strongest being Leo the Lion."

" Leo the Lion," Nova repeated. She had heard about him, but only thinking he was a myth. She stood up and took the towel. " Thank you for the bath. I would be going to get changed now."

" You must not put back on those dirty clothes. I will have some for you on the bed."

" W-wait? I'm staying? I don't want to be a bother!"

" To be honest, now that I found out you're a zodiac, I can't trust you like I did before."

Nova nodded. " Yes, I wouldn't trust myself either. Thank you for today."

With that, Nova left Cassandra. She arrived at the room that was at the end of the hall. As she was told, there were a bundle of clothing waiting for her on the bed.

" I see you're getting settled." Behind Nova, was Caspar leaning against the door frame.

" Caspar."

" Cassandra has told me that you would be staying here for the time being, though if I remember correctly, you have a home nearby?"

Nova shook her head. " Not a home. A hut."

" You really do need a place to be settled. Alright, breakfast is at nine sharp. If you sleep on that bed, then you'll be out like a light for a while."

" I have to thank you for doing this."

" We're the ones who should be thanking you," he said. " If you hasn't stepped in, then we wouldn't have the wood that we need for winter. Honestly, that old man would give it to other people freely and only has the debt against us."

" If you don't mind me asking, but have you heard of the zodiac?" she asked.
Caspar frowned. " The zodiac? That's an old legend. Cassandra would mention it all the time to scare Austin and I to sleep." He chuckled softly. " Though, that would only make us have a nightmare instead. Why are you asking about it?"

" No reason," Nova said quickly. " I was curious is all."

Caspar gave Nova a hard look before sighing. " The zodiac, from what I remember they have markings on their bodies from when they are born. Others would inherit the mark later on if it is meant for them. I don't know the whole background, I'm sorry for that. You could ask Cassandra and see if she knows anything."