Atlas' Dream - The Journey (6 months since the crash)

"We just have to promise to stick together," said Atlas, "no matter where they send us." The three siblings stood side by side, each boy holding one of Demeter's hands in between them. They had gone through the panic, running home down the red-glowing halls when they'd discovered the alarms going off that morning after playing in the Wilderness. They had gone through the disbelief when their parents had tearfully tried to explain why they suddenly had to leave with no warning. It had to do with some atmospheric test results from Earth being 3 years off or 3 years early or something. Atlas didn't understand, but since their mom was an atmospheric scientist, he wasn't going to argue there. Demeter said she'd explain it later, but she was in worse shape than the boys and practically unable to stop crying. They had all gone through the confusion and anger, demanding answers to any questions they could think of while their parents packed and prepared hurriedly. The kids would be staying with some family friends- neighbors they nicknamed Aunty and Uncle. Their parents said there was a chance they could reunite in some years down the road, but Pallas had done a good job discouraging them from believing that.

Now they stood in shock, behind a line made of black and yellow striped tape, with a dozen other families on the verge of being torn apart. They were in a hallway connected to the hanger where the ship their parents would leave on, The Persephone, was being prepped along with others.

"But why can't we go with them?" cried Demeter.

"Dad already explained it, Dummy," Pallas answered sternly, "They can't take whole families because the warp engines use too much energy. There's not enough left for the extra you'd need to take care of grandmas and babies like you!"

"Be nicer, Pallas," warned Atlas. Demeter punched Pallas in the arm.

"It's Deemy!" She yelled. He was about to punch her back when the adults getting ready to leave started walking over together to say their tearful goodbyes. "I don't want you to go," said Demeter towards sorrowful eyes.

"We know, baby. We don't want to go either, but we have to. We have to so other families can be safe, happy and love each other for years and years to come. I know some day you'll understand," her mother must have run out of tears by then, because her sad, tired expression was dry against her children's cheeks as she kissed and hugged them. Their father, who had always been pretty quiet, gave them each his best attempt at loving, personalized advice before squeezing them tight with his famous bear hugs. In what could never have been enough time, their parents left to board The Persephone.

Once they returned to their home, Atlas stared at the suitcases their parents had gotten out for them so they could pack to go live with Aunty and Uncle. He couldn't believe how horribly his birthday was going at this point. Just that morning they had eaten spaghetti and ice cream.

"Wait! I told mom I would give her a present! Oh no!" Demeter yelled at her brothers. Pallas looked at the clock.

"Well hurry up then, Deemy! It's probably too late anyhow," he said. Atlas was shaking his head at his brother, who, considering the events of the day, probably had a right to be in as bad a mood as he wanted. Atlas also felt like breaking everything in their living room, after all.

Demeter got out a piece of cardstock paper, scribbled a doodle and a short message to her parents, and then dragged Pallas over. He thankfully went along with it and filled out the other inside page of the makeshift card. As was tradition, they left the cover for Atlas, who was already coming over with a pen when it was his turn. He drew the Earth as best he could with 6 dots around the outside of it, to represent the 6 space colonies. He thought about writing "We love you," but in that moment didn't want to be sappy. Instead, he drew a stick figure underneath the drawing of earth to represent himself holding it all up. He knew his siblings hadn't spoken for each other on the inside of the card, so the cover could be from just Atlas, too.