Camp Wellspring (9 months since the crash)

Atlas yawned, stretched, and swung his legs over the edge of his bed. There was no sign of AGS-9 in the cave. It must have been out surveying again, which didn't bother Atlas like it used to. Atlas started his morning exercise routine with some push-ups in the section of the cave he had lined with leaves and sand to provide a bit more comfort than the bare rock offered.

Atlas had been living in paradise compared to the conditions they first faced on this planet. Even with the luxurious hollow tree-stump dwellings they had found a few of on their journey, Camp Wellspring was a class above. Atlas was happy enough when they first got there 3 months ago, sleeping on the hard rock floor, breathing cool butane-free air, and feeling safe from the forest-dwelling rats that had ambushed them while he slept in the past. Since then, they had done a lot to make the camp more homely. Atlas made himself a bed out of logs, rocks, and sand he gathered and hauled back up from the forest floor. It felt as good to sleep on that as he could remember his bad back home on the space station. AGS-9 had fashioned a permanent fire pit out by the edge of the cave, protected from the rain, but out enough for the smoke to drift away. With a lack of the naturally occurring butane at their camp, the fire pit relied more heavily on sticks and logs, of which they had a huge stockpile collected against one of the walls of the cave.

Their campfires produced an unexpected byproduct. Since the wood from the metallic hybrid trees was only partially combustible, the wood would eventually burn away, but the metal would just heat up, leaving hot, malleable alloy behind. Using AGS-9's resistance to heat and fire, they were able to create many tools this way. They had made buckets, knives, forks, shovels, hatchets, cups and plates, reinforcements for the structures they'd built in the campsite, and whatever else they could think of. Atlas even made a sign for Camp Wellspring that he proudly displayed at the mouth of the cave. 'Beware of AGS-9,' was jokingly written on it. Mounted on a custom-made rack by Atlas' bed was AGS-9's left arm. He didn't need it anymore, having fashioned multiple clubs out of tree-metal, but it wasn't something he planned on leaving behind anytime soon. It represented survival against overwhelming odds and was one of the only reasons Atlas had made it to Camp Wellspring at all. He was sure that it could come in handy again someday- especially since AGS-9 had explained that the metal he was comprised of was much stronger than any of the naturally occurring metal they had seen on Planet Demeter.

What Atlas was most thankful for was the rain filtration system they created, which caught rainwater as it fell just outside of the cave, filtered it through a bunch of sand, and sent clean drinking water dripping into one of several makeshift buckets just inside the cave.

"You need to flatten your back more," AGS-9 entered the cave out of nowhere with advice as Atlas did push-ups. Atlas was amazed at how well the android could function, including climbing sheer rock walls, with only one arm. They were still discovering things about each other and Atlas enjoyed being able to surpass the android's expectations during his training. AGS-9 had started Atlas on an exercise regimen once they stockpiled enough meat to provide Atlas with calories he needed to train.

Speaking of meat, they had also recently discovered a new life form on the far side of the mountains. These were much larger than the rats and the meat they yielded could sustain Atlas for several days. They weren't overly aggressive, didn't make deafening electronic whining noises like the rats did, and didn't fight in huge packs. The biggest problem with these beasts- 'rhinos,' as Atlas decided to call them- was that they were nearly impossible to take down. Their metallic hide was virtually impenetrable by any of the weapons forged from the tree metal. They spooked easily, too, so even getting in an attempt was a challenge. Only AGS-9 was able to kill them so far by staying perfectly still for hours until one was close and spearing its neck with his hand, which had long since lost its skin layer and now revealed slightly worn metal.