18: Left Behind

The above artwork does not belong to me.

Once upon a time, Mabel had thought that Danny was really, really hot.

He still was, of course. That jet-black hair, those icy eyes, the way he laughed, that little smirk . . . The list goes on.

Now, though, she just felt so bad for him. Her crush on the teenager hadn't gone away, although he'd told them about Sam. He denied feelings for the girl but grinned like crazy when he talked about her. Mabel really wanted to meet her.

Yet as Danny sat in the front seat, knees pulled up to his chest, he looked fragile and terrified. There was a raw fear in his eyes: the fear of being an outcast. A freak. Honestly, his expression reminded her of the look she sometimes caught Dipper wearing at school, when he was made fun of for his dorkiness or his birthmark. It made her want to give the halfa a hug.

Mabel picked up his crutches and put them in the back seat, smiling softly at him. Pacifica just stood there, unsure of what to do. And Jazz . . . the older teen was looking at her brother strangely. Before Mabel could decipher what was written on her features, the loud crash in the woods was heard again.

Stan had appeared at his great niece's side. "What is that?" he muttered. Danny just stared into the forest, narrowing his eyes. He seemed so real, so alive. Could he really be a ghost?

Jazz spoke suddenly. "Let's go find out." And just like that, she took off running, waving her hand for them to follow. She disappeared into the trees.

"Jazz!" Danny shouted, his voice breaking a little. "Come back here!"

That's when she screamed. "Jazz!" the halfa yelled. He tried to stand, pushing open the door.

Mabel's and Pacifica's eyes widened as Danny stumbled out of the car. He glanced in their direction and then he just . . . changed.

A blue-white ring appeared around his waist, then split and travelled in opposite directions along his body. As it passed, it revealed a black hazmat suit, ecto-green eyes, and snow-white hair. His entire form glowed with a faint light.

He floated into the air and picked them both up, then flew into the forest with Stan trailing behind. His arms felt warm on the surface, but there was a chill underneath.

The girls didn't know what to think, and as Danny searched for his sister, it began to rain. The fine sprinkle gave way to large, heavy droplets that fell into his eyes. His breathing was heavy, but he refused to stop looking, calling Jazz's name over and over.

Finally he couldn't go anymore. He set the girls down in a clearing. His eyes seemed dull. "Where the heck did she go?" he murmured to himself. He punched a tree trunk in anger, splitting the wood. "Why would she run off like that?"

He was shouting at the last part. Mabel placed a cold hand over his bloodied knuckles. "We'll find her."

"But-- but that noise! Whatever made that noise--"

Another scream ripped through the rain. His head snapped up. "Jazz . . ."

"Danny, rest," Pacifica said. "We'll find her. It wasn't that far away."

Stan crashed into the clearing, grumbling about have to run around on the ground. Mabel turned to Pacifica. The blond looked terrified, but determined.

"Let's go find her, kids," the old man said, and Danny floated along with them. He was refusing to stay put.

Suddenly, a dark shape became visible through the trees. "Jazz!" Danny yelled. He tried to fly to her.

She held out a hand to stop him. Trembling, she pointed ahead. A lithe, grey-white, catlike creature crouched only a few yards away, its milky pale skin soaked from the rain. Its teeth reflected the glow of the halfa's wide eyes.

Stan, Mabel and Pacifica were totally frozen behind them. Mabel felt like her chest had been wrapped in metal bands; she had that much trouble breathing. The septem tigris's tail swished back and forth like a pendulum as it waited.

Jazz grabbed her brother's hand. "Run," she choked out.

The five of them bolted, their feet pounding the ground. Danny flew, his form a blur in the rain.

The tigris snarled, leaping after them. Its muscles rippled with power. They could never outrun it.

"This way!" Jazz shouted. She adjusted their course diagonally. No one questioned her.

Finally, the beast caught up to them. It swiped Danny out of the air with seven-toed paw. He fell to the ground with a thump.

Jazz's face morphed to accommodate a look of anger. Danny was too dazed to fly. "Go . . ." he mumbled.

Mabel couldn't move. "Come on, we have to leave!" Jazz shouted. She grabbed the girl's arm and dragged her away. "It wants you!"

Stan and Pacifica looked back at the boy, but the cat was too close to argue. They followed, weighed down by guilt.

They ran for what felt like forever, eventually slowing to a walk. The creature seemed to be following them much more slowly now, as they could no longer hear it. Either that, or it had stayed with Danny . . . Mabel paled at the thought.

Jazz, who hadn't spoken for a while, pushed through some bushes into a large clearing. Crystal-flecked boulders dominated the area. At the base of a larger one was a dark cave.

"Where are we?" Stan asked. The rain still poured, though not as heavily as before.

The teen said nothing. She was facing the cave, her back to the others. Her shoulders were shaking with sobs.

"Jazz?" Mabel whispered, placing a hand on her arm. "It'll be ok. I'm sure he's just fine."

She expected to see the redhead's face tear-streaked, and a determined look in her eyes.

But that's not what she saw at all.

Jazz wasn't crying. She was laughing. Her frame shook as she chuckled, her eyes glazed pink. "Oh, he won't be fine when we're done with him."

Mabel and the others stumbled back. Grunkle Stan grunted in surprise, Pacifica staring in silent horror.

The teen smirked. "Too bad it was so difficult to lure young Daniel here. We can't bring him with force, else he sustains a fatal injury. He isn't allowed to die just yet."

Pacifica pointed a shaking finger at her. "You-- you--"

She smiled even wider. "I what?"

"You're his sister!" the blond blurted.

The laugh took on a deeper, rasping tone. "No, I'm not."

A shadowy form seperated from Jazz, her body collapsing. Stan managed to catch her before her head could hit a rock.

Mabel gaped up at the figure. A ghost. It changed shape, becoming a wolf-like creature with mandibles.

"The shifter?" Mabel whispered.

It stared at her with blank pink eyes as its teeth came at her in a flash.