Chapter 4: Bellamy

"Damn it, Ari. I almost killed you," Bellamy spat, removing the ax from the tree trunk it was wedged in. "Why aren't you back at camp?" he asked.

"I didn't want to be there anymore, I got bored," I explained with a shrug as Charlotte climbed down the tree slowly.

Bell looked at the small blonde then back to me. "Great you dragged someone else with you?"

"There are grounders out here, it's too dangerous for little girls," Atom, a boy with green eyes and short brown hair said looking down at Charlotte and I.

"We're not little," I spat, glaring up at him, standing my ground.

Bellamy's signature smirk danced across his freckled face as the oldest Blake looked between Atom and I. "Okay then, but you can't hunt without weapons," Bellamy said, pulling a small makeshift knife from his back pocket, holding it out to me. I bit the side of my cheek, looking down at the knife in his hand. "Ever killed something before?" he asked. I shook my head, not taking my eyes from the knife. "Who knows maybe you'll be good at it."

I slowly reached for the knife, glancing at Charlotte as I did so. Gripping the handle tightly, following Bellamy as he went to catch up to the others in his group that were chasing the pig. Every few minutes I would look over my shoulder, making sure Charlotte was right there behind me and she always was.

-

After a little while of walking and getting to know more about the only other criminal my age, the forest suddenly became unsettlingly quiet as everything seemed to stop. Charlotte and I slowed to a stop as we noticed there were suddenly no insects chirping, no small animals running around and creepiest of all, there was no wind whatsoever.

The yelping and screeching of a flock of birds flying above us broke the quiet atmosphere and added to the weirdness of it all. The pig we had been following was long gone.

Turning my head up to the sky, we watched as the group of birds flapped their wings against the hard wind, a dark orange colored fog followed close behind. It looked thick and deadly and was coming right in across our path.

"Bellamy!" I yelled to get his attention. He whipped around to face our direction. Seeing the fog in front of us, all the color in his face drained.

A loud bellowing sound of a horn made us all jump in fear, frantically looking around to try and find where it was coming from. "Is that a warning?" Atom asked as the fog got closer.

My hands started to shake and my breathing only increased as the panic set in. My feet wouldn't move, despite Bellamy and Charlotte calling my name. All I could do was stare until a pair of hands grabbed my shoulder and forced me to look at the freckled face of Bellamy Blake.

"Come on Kid, we have to go!" he yelled, pulling my arm and snapping me out of my trance as we started to run. "Come on, there are caves up ahead," Bellamy explained. My short legs could barely keep up with him but I did the best I could. Somewhere in the chaos we had lost Atom and the other but Bellamy pushed Charlotte and I up a hill, keeping us in front of him until we ran inside the first cave we saw.

Bellamy waited by the entrance, looking for any signs that would tell him the other were okay, but sadly none came and as the fog got closer, he was forced to retreat into the cave with us.

Leaning against the wall, my chest heaved as I tried to catch my breath. Running was not something I was used to. Charlotte gasped from beside me, putting a hand to her chest.

With a grunt, Bellamy dropped to the ground and ran his hands through his curls.

It was silent for a while as none of us spoke, not really sure what to say. Trying to wait out the fog was taking forever as it didn't seem to end. With no one speaking the time only dragged on, until Bellamy muttered something about trying to make a fire.