Chapter 5: Charlotte

Most would think that with Jasper's recovery, the mood would be light and happy. We were getting things done in the camp. Setting up tents and building structures to catch rainwater, everything should have been happy, but it wasn't.

The morning after Jasper's recovery, the body of Wells Jaha was discovered outside the small perimeter of the camp. He had been murdered sometime in the night, stabbed in the neck. The death had been concluded to the grounders since no one expected it to be one of our own.

Boy were we so wrong.

The incident motivated the teenage criminals to prepare better. Bellamy had ordered for a wall to be built around the camp and he came up with a rotating schedule for people to keep watch over the camp with makeshift knives and spears as weapons.

Wells was buried that same day with a small ceremony that Charlotte and I attended with some of the other kids. Clarke had said a few nice words then sat at the grave for the rest of the night.

Charlotte and I shared a spot under the stars, not saying much as the overall mood of the day was dark and heavy. We weren't sure if the grounders were going to strike again and it was safe to say that a lot of the teens were scared.

The next day was just as bad. Everyone was stressed with building up the walls as fast as we could for our protection but we were tired and hungry and trying to work with no energy. Each of us had specific orders to follow and knew what we were to do.

Charlotte and I were building a post that was to put in front of the wall, made up of three large pieces of wood sharpened at the end, tied together so they were pointing in different directions. They were going to line the outside of the walls to stop someone from coming in.

"Okay okay, how about this one," I began, telling another joke to Charlotte. "What did one wall say to the other?" I was trying to lighten the mood and telling jokes was the only way I knew how. "Meet you at the corner," I answered, laughing at my own joke. "You get it because the walls...they meet at the corner."

Charlotte didn't respond, keeping her head hung low and her attention focused on the knot she was tying. Ever since Wells was found, she had been acting distant, not talking to much and just keeping to herself. I chalked it up to the overall mood of the camp but I hated seeing her like this, especially after we spent so much time getting to know each other.

"Okay, what's wrong?" I asked stopping what I was doing and turn to her. "You always laugh at my jokes."

She opened her mouth to answer when next to us, a boy named Connor dropped the large tree trunk he was carrying to the ground out of exhaustion. This upset the one and only John Murphy who came marching over to the boy.

"You think the grounders are just gonna sit around waiting for us to finish the wall? Maybe we should let the little girls do the lifting for you!" Murphy pointed to us. Charlotte and I shared a look of uncertainty.

"I just need some water then I'll be fine," Connor explained, practically panting.

"Murphy, get this guy some water," Bellamy ordered, walking over before turning to us. "Hey, you guys got this?" he asked. Without a second thought, Charlotte and I ran to lift the large tree. "Girls, I'm just kidding." He smirked stopping us.

We smiled and went back to what we were working on before but Charlotte was still distracted by her thoughts. "Seriously Charlotte, what's wrong?" I asked.

She shrugged, shaking her head. "Nothing. I'm fine."

"That's a lie and we both know it."

She let out a sigh, looking over her shoulder. "Okay, but if I tell you something you have to promise not to tell anyone else."