Chapter 4: My Sweet

I had worn my pirate clothes all day and I was about to get ready for bed when I heard cannonfire, I looked out the window and saw a ship in the harbor.

The ship had black sails and I cried with delight, "It's the Pearl!"

Without a second thought a grabbed my sword and climbed out the window (my favorite exit), when I got on firm ground I started running down to the docks and I cried with happiness all the way.

I'm going to see Barbossa agian!

I dived off the dock and swam out to the ship, thinking of nothing but my lover, I climbed up the back of the ship and over the railing of the captain's cabin, I opened the doors but no one was inside so I just sat on the bed and waited.  After awhile I thought I heard Elizabeth's voice, I could also hear footsteps and for some reason I hid. I could tell there were people moving around, so I didn't dare peek out.

And then I heard a familiar voice, "There be no need to stand on ceremony, no call to impress anyone.  You must be hungry."

I had to stop myself from screaming, I had waited ten years to hear that voice again and I wanted to see his face too, so I peered out from my hiding spot behind a cabinet and saw Elizabeth stuffing her face and my beloved Barbossa sitting there watching her, he poured something in a goblet and handed it to Elizabeth.

"Try the wine." he said simply.

I watched as she gulped down the drink and as Barbossa held out an apple.  I smiled, he had told me that his favorite thing to do with his mother when he was little was to help her bake apple pies.

"And the apples, one of those next?" he smiled.

I felt so jealous of Elizabeth at that moment.

"It's poisoned." Elizabeth sounded scared.

"Ther'd be no sense to be killin ya Miss Turner." Barbossa chuckled.

Aww he's so cute when he laughs like that.  Wait a minute!  Miss Turner?  What's he talking about?

"Then release me, you have your trinket I'm of no further value to you!" Elizabeth pleaded.

Barbossa held up the medallion, "Ye don't know what this is do ya?"

"It's a pirate medallion." Elizabeth was confused.

"This is aztec gold, one of eight hundred and eighty-two identical pieces they delivered in a stone chest to Cortez himself!  Blood money paid to stem the slaughter he reeked upon them with his armies.  But the greed of Cortez was insatiable ans so the heathen gods placed upon the gold... a terrible curse.  Any mortal that removes but a single piece is to be cursed for eternity!" Barbossa told the story with such feeling that I found myself lost in those blue eyes of his.

"I hardly believe in ghost stories anymore Captain Barbossa." Elizabeth sounded superior.

"Aye!  That's exactly what I thought when we were first told the tale," he got up and walked right past my hiding place and I breathed in the familiar smell of rum, "Buried on an island what cannot be found, except for those who already know where it is."

He leaned down next to Elizabeth, "But find it we did!  There be the chest, inside be the gold and we took 'em all!"

He walked back over to his chair but continued to stand, "So we traded 'em and spent 'em and friddled 'em away on drink and food and pleasurable company!"

My blood boiled at the last thing, he better not have done anything like that!

"But the more we gave 'em away, the more we came to realize that drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust!" Barbossa continued to explain and I continued to get angry when he talked about pleasurable company.