14. Mending

"I would like to apologize."

They sat somewhat apart, separated by a few feet of space on the concrete wall. No one else had the nerve to take the space between them. Marie sat with her feet up, her knees drawn close to her chest. Eddward was bent forward, hunched with his arms braced in his lap, staring at the ground.

After a moment, he mustered the courage to turn his head and see her face. She was looking back at him with the one eye that wasn't obscured by blue bangs. Her mouth quirked up in a smile that, while subdued and somewhat rueful, was in no way insincere.

"Am I really the one you should be apologizing to?"

Eddward straightened his back, though he remained bent forward, leaning on his knees. "I upset you. That was never my intention." He paused, and he hoped she could forgive him for turning his face away again, just long enough to mutter, "I am sorry, Marie."

She could. "It's all right, Edd. And... I know I kind of jumped into the middle of things without asking. And if I hurt you by doing that, then I'm sorry, too."

He nodded once, almost imperceptibly, and the two of them sat for a few moments in a comfortable, companionable silence.

At length, Marie slid her feet down to the ground again and leaned back, planting her hands behind her. "But seriously, I know you don't get along with him at all, but he deserves an apology."

Sullen silence.

"He helped you, Edd."

"I am aware of that," Edd answered bluntly. He paused. "I am not looking forward to it, however."

"Well, no one ever does. Don't know what to say?"

"Among other things."

Marie grinned. "You're a genius. You'll think of something. Maybe you can put a bunch of 'Sorry' labels on his locker or something."

"Now you're being purposely obtuse." With a sigh, Edd got to his feet.

"Where're you going? You think of something already?"

The corner of his mouth turned upward in a smile, his lips parting just enough to show teeth. "Perhaps."

"That's the spirit. See you later, Double D."

"Of course, Marie." Eddward pointed himself in the direction of the track, and started walking.

There had been no care or caution in this theft.

Why would there be? The crime had been committed in full view of the notebook's owner, wagged proudly in his face as the culprits practically danced upon his helplessness in their triumph. There was no point in hiding it when, not only was their victim aware of them, but entirely helpless to do anything about it. It was half-forgotten by now, anyway; in a few days, whoever happened to be holding it would probably discover the unwanted thing in his backpack and leave it in a dumpster somewhere. Everyone would move on with their lives, except the dork who would be minus one nerd-notebook, but everyone important would move on with their lives.

Except for the fact that none of that was actually going to happen.

No amount of caution could have stopped it, but the fact that the track runner who was carrying the thing had been in too much of a hurry to notice immediately that his backpack was open simply sped things along. Moreover, as he caught up to his two friends outside of the locker room after practice had run over into lunchtime, both either failed to notice or failed to see any point in telling him. Very considerate of them, really.

One rarely, however, fails to notice the distinct sensation of someone sliding something out of one's backpack. It was already done, deftly, almost carelessly, by the time the athlete whirled around in indignation.