Prologue

*Ok. I need a favor. Please check out this story and my other one, All Who Remain, and choose which one you would like me to do for nanowrimo this year :) Thanks!

___

The breeze was soft, but not soft enough that it didn't stir the leaves on the abundance of bushes and trees. Mark couldn't deny how the constant movement sent shivers of anxiousness up his spine.

They could be out there. They were watching him, stalking him. His nerves were on edge, so when he heard the scream off in the distance, he immediately darted up and jogged in the direction of the shrill sound. His heart was beating hard in his chest as he quickly snuck up to where he knew the sound had originated. There were a few lights scattered around, making it easy to see the scene below him.

A few kids about his age splashed and he let out a grunt. He just ruined his post for some squealing, naive teens. Great.

He returned back to his spot, hoping whatever he was looking for hadn't seen him. But as he let the anger fade, he couldn't help but to let the sharp jealousy pierce him. He would never be able to be carefree like that. At least not while there where still people to protect and things to protect them from.