Graduation Preperation

It was the night before my graduation and I found myself wandering around the empty streets of my neighborhood. It was well past midnight, so all of the houses were cast into darkness. The only thing that gave me the ability to walk without slamming into anything was the glow of the street lights and the occasional outside light from one of the houses.

A normal person would be fretting about the dark. Fear of darkness, Achluophobia, is common in children and most adults. They don't necessarily fear the dark, but what can be hiding and lurking within it. I let myself laugh out loud at this. How can a person be afraid of imaginary things that they let their mind make up?

To me, all of those things seem absolutely absurd. I looked beyond a house to the end of its driveway. I saw a darkness deeper than the one initially surrounding it. A person might picture this to be a ghost or another paranormal creature. But, as I looked closer, it was just a trash can.

In this moment, as I walked the streets by myself, the only thing that I might possibly fear is falling and banging my head on the rock hard asphalt. Or maybe a stranger coming to kidnap me and torture me. But, my steps were careful as I made sure I didn't trip. My neighborhood was one of those expensive gated communities and neighborhood watch was constantly on the lookout. The odds of me being kidnapped and injured are slim to none.

My rationalized thinking was cut off as I reached my driveway. I didn't rush, but instead took my time walking along it and then swerving onto the path that led me to the front door. I used amazing ninja skills to be as silent as possible as I sneak inside and back up to my room.

I changed out of my jeans and shirt, and into a pair of baggy sweatpants and a tank top. Then I nestled into my plush comforter and closed my eyes. Better rest up, I told myself, You have a big day tomorrow.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

I woke with a start as my alarm started blaring out the latest Ke$ha song. I slammed my hand on the snooze button with a groan. With my eyes still squinted against the dark, I made my way to the bathroom. After a brief hesitation, I flipped the switch to the bright light. I blinked a few times, trying to adjust my eyes.

Then, I proceeded to take a shower and get myself ready. I put on a pair of jeans and a gray Hollister top. Next I made sure that my cap and gown, my graduation dress, and my hair and make-up necessities were carefully placed inside of my glossy red Volkswagen Beetle Convertible.

I was just about to head out the front door when I heard a sound behind me. I spun around with cat-like reflexes and was poised to attack when I realized it was just my dad.

"Good morning,"I said, relaxing.

"Good morning my little ninja,"he chuckled and shuffled in his slippers and robe to the brewed pot of coffee. He poured himself a cup and I immediately wished I had time for a second cup.

"Well, I have to go to my own personal hell now, so I'll see you at graduation,"I waved and headed back to the door.

He sighed,"Don't be so dramatic. This is the last time you will have to see them."

"Except for the dropouts that take my order at McDonalds,"I mumbled under my breath, then said louder,"Well, bye. Love you."

I faintly heard him say,"Bye sweetie. I love you,"before heading out the door and to my car.

As I drove to my high school, thoughts ran through my mind. Not only do I hate school in general, but I specifically hate my school. Its okay for them to tell us we have to be at graduation, but then they host a mandatory get-together, where we have to endure five hours of those sluts and assholes that we are trying so desperately to get away from.