Endgame (Pt. 5, Lucifer)

II.

{VII:0II PM}

“As of this morning, three more children have fled. Last night, another inmate died.” Cassius finished, placing a folder at my deskside. “My Lord, I suggest you destroy the orphanage completely. The asylum can handle itself.”

I scoff and resumed flipping a black ink pen between my ringed fingers. The cheap plastic cracks and splinters, leaving masses of ink all over my hands. My desk, in such a short matter of time, ruined. Checks and papers are dyed into an incomprehensible black. I bite back a curse, and shake my head sadly.

“Why do you think I should destroy my orphanage, Cassius?” I couldn’t help but let my voice rise, and the beginnings of anger curled my fits. Looming men gather around me to dispose of my lost files. Ink drips off the edge of my antique table. An involuntary groan of exasperation escapes to see steam rising out of the motherboard. I don’t question that Cassius’s words are for the best of my manor, my title, and my men- Yet the thought of destroying a safe house for unloved children was too cruel. “We have enough profit to support ourselves, and negotiate with...” Other ‘nobles’ dwelled throughout the world, that was for sure. Whenever freedom was allowed by Cassius, I was allowed to watch the latest news from the armada of old, piled television sets. Most of the time I saw reruns of ancient dramas and 'news', day and night shows from years past.

Sometimes self-proclaimed governments would broadcast worldly tragedies. Around the world, people of wild eyes and ragged clothes proclaimed themselves as 'noble.' They fed themselves money from false businesses, the disgusting arts of slave-trading and druggery. The term 'noble' is abused. Cassius hesitated, eying me. I must have looked quite pathetic in his eyes; My white uniform covered in black, a frustrated scowl on my face.  

"My Lord-" I despise those words-Words that spoke truth.  

"Lord Eidolon and Lucifer are only intimidating aliases created to keep me alive." I fix my gaze on Cassius- He has a small frame, yet when sitting by my side, the older boy sat several heads taller. Cassius drummed his fingers on my desk, which was promptly straightened and cleaned.

My guardian and friend sighs. I barely flinch. One again, I had made the poor servant's life difficult with my very word and command. He's only two years older than me, and the weight of my life (My life is the world, to me) on his tiny, cloaked ebony shoulders.  

"My...Luci..." Confusion edged in his voice. I went by quite a few names, all of which I despised. I saw nothing in hiding behind an identity.  

I stifle a laugh, because it's oddly entertaining that Cassius, whom has known me nearly my entire life, is suddenly at lost if my true name. I stood from my seat and off the books piled to raise my height.  

I ignore the snickers-  

"The boy lord," They all say. "Frail...unfit..." A storm of insults at every stride I take- All in the comforts of my manor. It’s so disheartening, how even my own men dare to whisper and gossip behind my back. Cassius makes sure to punish any delinquents.

I raise my head to meet Cassius’s eyes. The two of us are alike- Dark haired and green eyed. Cassius, if I am a shadow, you are the light. I dare not to say those words that have rang multiple times throughout my heavy head, in fear of his disapproval; And because I can never admit the analogy to myself. I cannot exist without him.

I’m only a lordly child destined to die without a guardian. At Cassius’s disappearance, the game is lost. I won’t let him go.

    “...Nevermind the matter of my identity.” I murmur. The tension in the air dies down, just a little. “Although I will not heed your past suggestion of...closing down my orphanage-”