Chapter 10

Adie had only been in bed ten minutes when she heard the first thump from the living room. She tiptoed to the window and looked out to see a dark-coloured van parked at the edge of the driveway. She backed away letting the curtain fall again and searched the nightstand for her phone. Her hands were shaking so much she almost dropped it twice before she managed to press the speed dial.

"There's someone in the house. They're pulling the place apart," Adie whispered. Adrenalin made her heart race wildly. She shivered - the need to leave was overwhelming.

"Get out of the there now," Callie whispered in reply. "Go out the bedroom window and use the oak tree to get down. Trust me, it will hold your weight."

Grating and rubbing sounded, then a muffled oomph as Adie dropped the last few feet to the ground. More scratching and crackling noises as she removed the phone from her pyjama pocket. "Shit, my car keys are on the hall table. I'm going to have to creep around and see if I can get them."

A few seconds later, Callie heard footsteps on the gravel of the driveway. A door creaked, followed by the faint jingle of keys on wood. A second more passed before she heard hurried footsteps on the gravel again and finally the engine started. Tyres squealed as Adie peeled rubber, racing from the house.

"You need to come here. They're after you too by the looks of it," Callie insisted.

"Who are they? From the glimpse I caught, they looked like us but they felt wrong, they felt..." she gulped at the only word she could think of to describe them. "They felt evil, Cal."

Callie too shivered, feeling her sister's unease through the bond. She gave her the address. "Get here as quick as you can. Make sure no-one follows you."

Callie paced the small room. To human eyes, it would have looked like she was flashing from one side to the other in the blink of an eye. Sam grabbed her by the shoulders, halting her in mid-stride. He looked at her face before crushing her body to his in a tight embrace.

"She'll be fine, you'll see. It's okay," he said soothingly as he rubbed her back in a comforting gesture. Callie clung to him and let her tears roll unbidden from her eyes.

Sam pulled back hesitantly and took her face in both his hands. He kissed her, first on her forehead, then her nose. They stared into each other's eyes as their heads moved together as if drawn by some invisible force. Their eyes closed when their lips met and a surge of passion overtook them as the kiss deepened. She opened for him - tasting him. As their tongues danced, he carried her to the bed where they lay together with their limbs entangled.

Sam kept his weight on his elbows as he gazed at her. Her beauty astounded him. From her silky, ebony hair that haloed her pale face, to her thick lashes that created the perfect frame for chocolate eyes, finally coming to rest on her passion swollen lips.

"You really are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."

She blushed and smiled in return. "You're pretty damn hot yourself."

He chuckled and lay down beside her to bask in the knowledge that she was his. Mine, he thought possessively.

Some time later, the trill of Sam's phone ringing woke them from their passion-fuelled slumber. He frowned as he checked the caller ID and answered. He got up and paced the room.

"Hello Gill, what is it? ...What? ...Damn it. When was this? ...Did they say when the ship is due to sail? ...If I leave now I may be able to catch him before he boards. Book a ticket anyway just in case... Thanks Gill." He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration as he turned to Callie. "I have to leave. John, the guy who stabbed you, has decided to skip the country. If I don't get him before he reaches the mainland, he'll disappear or possibly sell the video to the highest-bidding tabloids. Things could get messy for the Centre. I'm sorry to have to leave you. Just stay here with the witches; they'll keep you hidden until I get back." He kissed her briefly and fled the room before Callie could protest.