Chapter 17

Adie slowly became aware of her surroundings. The bed was so cosy and warm; it smelled of comfort and safety. She didn't want to open her eyes to shatter the dream and let in the nightmare that her life had become.

"No point trying to hide from the problems, they'll just sneak up and bite you on the ass when you're not looking," she mumbled.

A deep chuckle startled her from her reverie. "I wouldn't mind a bite of that ass myself."

Her eyes flew open with her squeal of shock. She pulled the blanket up to her chin to cover her modesty and took in the dishevelled form sitting opposite her. Her gaze flicked quickly around the room in an attempt to determine where she was. The room was bare but for the bed she lay on, the chair he sat on and a shelf full of books. Her gaze landed back on him, defiantly meeting his stare.

"Where am I?" she asked.

"My room," he answered with a husky, sleep-filled voice that made him sound almost like he was purring.

Rick yawned and stretched lazily in the seat. His arms reached high over his head, making his T-shirt ride up to reveal the undone buttons at the waistband of his jeans. As he stood, his jeans fell low to ride his hips.

Adie gasped and stared at the bulge forming before her eyes. Maybe she even drooled a little at the sight. A quick look under the blanket told her she was still fully clothed and she breathed a sigh of relief. Or maybe disappointment, an inner voice mocked.

"How did I get here?" she asked, throwing the cover off. "And why am I here?"

He reached out his hand to help her from the bed. "I carried you because you were exhausted after healing Sam."

She placed her hand in his and let him pull her up to stand. The force of the pull sent her into his hard chest and his arms closed around her waist to keep her there. He lowered his head to her neck and inhaled her scent. When he smelled her arousal, he literally started purring. She could feel the vibration of it where her hands rested on his chest and she couldn't help but notice how right it felt.

"Shall we go find something to eat? The thought of biting your tight little ass has given me an appetite."

*****

Sidney and Irene were already seated at the huge kitchen table when Callie walked in. "Hey guys!" she called, pasting an overly bright smile on her face.

"Supper is in the fridge, pull up a chair and join us," Sidney chirped.

"We were just discussing our friend and we've decided to call him Scaly. It's quite fitting don't you think?" Irene joked.

"What's fitting?" Adie asked as she and Rick joined the others in the kitchen. Her hand was securely tucked into his elbow.

"Ssscaly, the nickname they gave to the demon, whose name cannot be mentioned," replied Callie, sucking the dregs of blood from the bag she'd poured into a glass. "Where can I find some information on him? I doubt the local library would keep stuff like that." She directed this at Irene.

"Hmm, I know my coven doesn't have anything more than you already know, but the Circle of Fire may have something. I'll ring Elizabeth and get their contact details. Can I borrow someone's phone?" She left the room after catching the one Callie tossed at her.

Rick pushed Adie into the seat next to her sister and set about making them food. He moved around the kitchen with ease, grilling bacon and scrambling eggs. He smiled from ear to ear when he caught Adie staring at his butt on more than one occasion.