Chapter 3

Officially Graduated and Leaving the Country

I, having the last name of Zimmerman, was going to be the last of my class to stroll down the aisle and across stage to receive my diploma. I waited impatiently in line behind everyone, I could feel the butterflies collect in my stomach as the seconds counted down until my name was called.

"And last, but certainly not least, Jessica Zimmerman." I closed my eyes one last time, thinking about how this was the last time that my class would be gathered in this gym. I walked down with my cap and gown in their places, shook my principal's hand, took the diploma, and walked to Leigh to take one last group photo before everyone took their separate ways.

Once we smiled for the camera, we walked over to our families and took some more photos. My mother had tears streaming down her face. "I can't believe my baby girl has just graduated," she said in my ear when I gave her a hug. "Don't worry, you still have five more years until Sarah graduates," I said in hopes of stopping the tears.

I finished taking pictures with everyone and hopped into the car with my parents and siblings to go have one last lunch before I left for the summer. We stopped at Olive Garden, where I got the soup, salad, and bread sticks deal. The meal was accompanied by the constant talk about how everyone will miss me, how I should write to the the whole time, not going to happen, and how I big I have grown in what seemed like minutes. The last part was coming mostly from my mom. 

I said farewell one last time as I hopped into the car with Leigh and her parents. It took us three hours to drive to the airport to board the plane. I took my motion sickness pills that knock me out, so once I boarded the plane, I didn't wake up until someone woke me up.

"Jess. Jess. Jessica!" I heard Leigh calling to me. I managed to open up one eye. "Come on, Jess, we have to get off now," Leigh said as she tugged on my arm.

I stood up and grabbed my carry-on and followed Leigh into the taxi. It took us thirty-five minutes to get to the vacation home. We all got out of the car eagerly and quickly grabbed our things to head inside. The house was a two-story, five bedroom house. It was enormous, despite how many bedrooms it had. It was more than enough room for a family of three.

Leigh showed me around the house, the backyard and garden, and also which room was designated as mine. The room that I got was a baby blue color, large room with a king sized bed with it's own bathroom attached. "Well, I think I've had enough for one day. Those motion sickness pills are making me even more tired, plus it's late here. Are we doing anything tomorrow?" I yawned.

"Maybe a little site seeing, but other than that nope. We can finally sleep in," Leigh smiled as she headed out the door.

I threw on my pajama pants and once my head hit the pillow, I was down for the night.

I slept in until nine-thirty, London time, and rolled around in bed until ten. I sat up and slowly convinced myself to get up and shower before I went out to see the others. I threw open my suitcase, piled up my clothes for the day, and headed into a quick shower.

"Good morning, Jessica," Nate, Leigh's dad, greeted me as I walked down the stairs. "Would you like some pancakes or waffles?"

"Pancakes, please." I sat down next to Leigh who looked like she had not slept well last night. "What's up with you, you look like you have been hit by a bus," I laughed as she brushed off my statement.

"Come on, Leigh, cheer up! We have a party to go to later tonight," Amy, Leigh's mom, announced. By the surprised look on Leigh's face, this was not something that had been discussed earlier. "Well I don't want to go," Leigh whined like a four year old.