T h r e e

"Wait, you're telling me that this kid just openly smacked your bum as you walked by?!" Dean chocked out in laughter.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "I couldn't believe it. And he was at least three years younger than me. And then he acted like it was completely normal! I could not believe it."

Dean and Seamus were pissing themselves laughing as we sat down at the Gryffindor table. Dean sat across from Seamus and I, the three of us nearly gasping for breath as we laughed. It was times like this that I missed all summer.

Seamus slung an arm over my shoulder. "I missed this while you were gone, Wolfie."

I grinned. "You read my mind. But stop calling me Wolfie," I added on as I elbowed his side.

He let out a loud laugh and bumped his head on mine, before looking up at the teachers. "Hey, where's Hagrid?"

I instantly turned to look and saw that the gentle giant wasn't with the rest of the teachers, Professor Grubbly-Plank making her way there instead.

"Huh, I hope he's back soon," Dean mumbled.

"Who's the pink toad?" I questioned, catching sight of a small, pudgy woman talking to Professor Dumbledore, completely clad in pink.

"New DADA teacher?" Seamus guessed.

The three of us exchanged looks before Professor McGonagall led in a line of first years into the Great Hall, hushing the conversations.

I leaned to closer to Seamus, whispering, "Were we really that small when we were first years?"

His chest vibrated with suppressed laughter as he responded with a cheeky, "You were."

I smacked his side with a smile and looked back up to to front, watching the hat open it's brim- and sang a new song.

When it was done, Seamus slipped his arm off my shoulder to applaud with everyone else, although we both shared a questionable look.

"Has the hat ever given advice before?" Dean whispered across the table to us.

"Yes, indeed."

The three of us glanced, a bit startled mind you, down the table to see Nearly Headless Nick leaning through Neville (I saw him shudder) to talk to Harry, Ron, and Hermione, who must have asked the same question.

"The hat feels itself honor-bound to give the school due warning whenever it feels-" Nearly Headless Nick stopped his explanation as McGonagall's glare swept across the Great Hall.

The first newcomer, a tiny, shaking boy, was sorted into Gryffindor, and the table broke into cheers, just as it always did.

It was a painstakingly long time before the last girl was sorted into Hufflepuff and Dumbledore said a quick welcome, letting the feast begin.

"Oh my goodness! You have no idea how much I missed pumpkin juice."

The boys laughed as I took a big gulp and gave a satisfied 'mmmm.'I set my cup down on the table and flashed a smile at Dean across the table as he shook his head at me with a grin.

I felt a hand on my chin and my eyes were slowly pulled to meet Seamus'. My eyes widened as his finger brushed across the corner of my lip.

He gave a broad grin. "Had some pumpkin juice on your lip."

I don't think he noticed my frazzled expression as he took a big bite of his chicken. However, it didn't slip past Dean.

I looked up at him to see his eyebrows raised in questioning. I just gave a small shake of my head and looked down at my potatoes.