This Celestial Life

The air felt tense as I waited there seated, in the uncomfortable chairs provided for us, at the police station.  I wasn’t alone; of course Alexa was still there, with me, on account of she was my ride to the concert.  Like a good friend, she stayed around to see what is going on.  On the car ride here, I let her in on what the officer on the phone had told me, but that’s about it.  I didn’t feel like getting into grave detail. 

I didn’t want to talk to her.  I wanted to keep the silence and not fill the air with unnecessary words.  Her disposition told me that she knew I didn’t feel like talking.  She just sat there, twiddling her thumbs in the pregnant silence of the cold room.  I just continued to sit, fidgeting, with nerves. 

After a few minutes, my phone finally broke the silence with a small buzz that came from the pocket on the side of my purse.  Hesitant at first, I decided to take it out and see who it was just to get my mind off of the event at hand.  SAMMI was inscribed across the bright screen.  My thumb traced the outline of my phone before grazing over the buttons and pressing the one that read “read”.  “Where’d you two run off to?” it read.  When I got the call I grabbed Alexa’s hand and dashed before I could let anyone know what was going on.  I left Sammi, in his cuteness, lost and confused, with what had happened, as well as all my other friends that were there, with us, at the concert.  I can understand his confusion.  I found myself typing back “long story” before hitting send and dropping my phone into my lap.  I could give him more details later.

I heard a door open, breaking the agonizing silence, and a man waltzed out of one of the many rooms, dressed in a navy blue uniform.  He hurriedly walked past Alexa and I before double taking and stopping right in front of me. 

“Are you the girl I talked to on the phone?  About the parents arrested for meth production?” he said with a little too steady of a voice.  He had a strong jaw line, covered in scruff.  The long hours at the station probably gave him little time to shave.  He looked pretty fit, overall, but had a bit of a bulge in the middle.

“Yeah, that’s me,” I managed to say back to him, trying to find my voice after sitting in silence for so long.  He looked me up and down with a peculiar look on his face.  I could read him like a book.  Well at least I could imagine what he was thinking.  How could a girl as normal as me have such messed up parents like them?  It happens.  My messed up parents are the reason I try to upkeep a persona that is much different than there’s.  I never wish to fall down the path they chose to take.

“All I can tell you right now is that there will be no bail available for the two of them.  You’re going to have to come back tomorrow to get more information as well as being able talk to them,” he said in an unapologetic manner.  His words sounded rehearsed.  I wonder how many times he’s said them before.  To how many people.  To how many families, friends and teens my age.  It’s just part of his daily routine.

                The officer scurried off, back into the room that he came from, and I got up from my seat stretching from the discomfort the chair gave me. 

“Okay Alexa, let’s go,” she looked up, from her twiddling thumbs, and gave me a look of pure confusion.

“Aren’t you going to do anything?  Your parents,” she paused to see if I had any input before she released her final thought, “they’re going to jail,” she said, rather quietly, as if it was a secret. 

“There’s nothing I can do right now, didn’t you hear him?  I’ll just have to come back tomorrow.”  I walked past her, unscathed while she sat there, dumbfound that I gave little to no emotion to the whole event at hand.  I didn’t wait for her for a second.  I reached the front door of the station and walked out, towards her car, and silently waited inside.  I really don’t know how I wasn’t taken aback by the fact that my parents have been caught for their long run of drug use and production.  I guess I just figured that it was bound to happen.  But what does this mean for me? 

Thank you for reading this teaser for my story!  Please leave a comment if you want me to upload the rest.  If I get good feedback towards this teaser, I would upload the rest.