Adrian's Antics

Thought the picture on the side was a pretty funny one to have for this chapter. Just because of the babysitting theme... Anyway, Enjoy :P

                                                            <*~^~*>

Chapter 4 – Adrian’s Antics

“What?” Adrian asked looking sceptical.

I walked over to the window and opened it. “It’s fine. There’s a drain pipe to the left of the window.” I tapped the wall to the left side of the window inside to emphasise my point. “Come on there’s no time to argue.” I said, starting to get annoyed that Adrian was still just standing there.

“Fine.” Adrian grumbled, coming closer to the window. He stuck his head out and I think I heard him gulp before he stuck his leg out as well and reached for the pipe. Adrian then hauled himself out the window. I stuck my head out and saw that he’d already started climbing down.

I turned and checked the room out of habit. I couldn’t see anything that would incriminate us, well except me if I didn’t get a move on and leave already. With that in mind I stuck my right leg out the window, quickly followed by my upper body. I got a good grip and foothold on the pipe and I eased myself out the window.

Now came the tricky part. While holding onto the pipe with one hand and both feet, I leant over to the window and pulled the window shut, but just before I closed it all the way I remembered to flip a catch at the bottom of the window that would lock it when it shut. I finished shutting the window and then started to silently make my way down the pipe. Luckily the pipe was sturdy and was practically silent apart from the odd creak and groan here and there, which was only to be expected when two people were using it to climb down a building.

Adrian was almost at the bottom and I wasn’t far behind when I heard a window open. I froze instantly, fearing the worst. I dared to look up just a fraction and silently breathed a sigh of relief. It was the second floor window, not the third. I smelled cigarette smoke and something dropped down past me before the window shut again. Guess someone was having one last puff before chucking their cigarette away. Good thing it’s rained recently and that we don’t live in some hot country like Australia, I thought to myself as I continued climbing down the pipe.

When my feet finally touched the ground, I relaxed the smallest amount for the first time since this night began. Now I just had to make it back before the Flinns got back. I checked my watch quickly and saw it was ten. I was already cutting it close so I better get a move on.

“That was a close call.” Adrian whispered in my ear making me jump. I had forgotten he was there for a moment.

“Yeah and it still might be.” I muttered back, not expecting him to hear me.

“What?” Adrian asked, looking confused.

I shook my head. “Let’s just get back.” I replied instead of explaining. The boy’s got hearing like a bat. I’d have to be careful in the future.

I walked with Adrian from around the back of the building. We stuck to the far side of the parking lot, away from the building, hoping we wouldn’t look too out of place. We then retraced our steps back to the park, taking the same shortcut that was harder to traverse now that it was completely dark out. Normally, I would’ve used my torch but I didn’t want to draw any unwanted attention after what we had just done. I heard Adrian stumbling along behind me but thought nothing of it until I heard a loud thud.

I paused, not turning around. The worst thing you can do when trying to walk in a straight line through a forest is turn around because it’s very easy to lose your way just by doing that simple action. “Adrian? You okay?” I asked quietly.