Chapter Four: Batman

Kayden had taken to sitting on her balcony at night to draw. She was fairly certain she wasn't doing it well, but it helped to clear her mind of the images. Of Hannah's body bleeding out in her arms. The nightmares about her parents, which she had never told to anyone because Dick had them too and was more important, had nearly stopped, only to be replaced by nightmares about Hannah. Bruce had offered to get her therapy, but, like she had after her parents, she had turned it down.
Being out on the balcony most nights meant that, obviously, she had seen the bat shaped light in the sky, the one that signalled Batman.
Well, two months after Hannah was killed, she decided to follow it. She dressed in a black hoodie, black leggings, her black running shoes, and pulled her hood over her hair, tied back in a messy braid.
After living at the Manor for so long, she had discovered many ways to sneak out, one of which was located just off her balcony. After climbing down from said balcony, using her gymnastics training, she scaled the fence, counted down until the cameras weren't facing her, and leaped over, landing with a muffled tap on the pavement.
Glancing over her shoulder, she started running toward the city, glad she had insisted on exercising and training with her gymnastics every night, between the time her nightmares woke her and Dick's woke him.
By the time she reached where the light originated, the police station, it cut off and she prayed to any god she hadn't missed Batman. She quickly scaled the fire escape, reaching the roof in time to see Batman leave. The police officer on the roof, Barbra's dad, turned and sighed when he realized Batman was gone. He mumbled something and went back inside, leaving the light unattended.
Kayden slipped forward and studied the light for a few minutes, before turning it on. She stepped backwards and glanced around.
"What are you doing here?"
Kayden whirled around at the sudden voice and gasped when she saw Batman. "I-I wanted to talk to you," she said.
"It's dangerous out here this time of night," he said. "You should go home."
"Not until I talk to you," she said.
"We both know there are more important things for me to take care of," he said, turning to leave.
"Like ignoring the people of this city?" She wasn't sure where she got the courage to talk to him like that and took a step back.
Batman turned back around to look at her. "What do you mean?" He asked.
Glad she was getting through to him, she straightened. "My friend Hannah was killed a few months ago," she said. "And you weren't there to stop it from happening."
"You can't save everyone," he said.
"Clearly," Kayden said, scowling. "You didn't even attempt to save her."
"That's not how it happened," He said. "There was an incident that required all members of the Justice League."
"Of course, blame it all on the League," Kayden snapped. "While you're off saving the world, who's here saving Gotham? Nobody, that's who. You said you wanted to save your city, but all you're doing is saving yourself." She turned to go, having said what she wanted.
"Robin protects the city," Batman said.
Kayden paused at the mention of Batman's new partner, whirling around to glare at him. "That's another thing," she said. "Robin is just a kid, what right do you have to bring a innocence child into that? He could get hurt, or even killed. But you probably wouldn't care." She turned back to the fire escape and her last words were filled with hatred and malice. "I hate you." With that, she hurried down the fire escape, leaving the caped crusader standing on the roof.