Slugger Girl

-Prologue-

"Daddy!" the little girl squealed. A man runs over, and picks up the little girl.

"What's up, princess?" the man asked.

"Can you teach me how to play baseball, daddy?" the little girl asked the man. The man lightly chuckled, and put the girl on his shoulders.

"Sure I will sweetheart." The man takes the girl to his backyard, and gives her a bat. He lightly throws a small softball, and the girl swings. She misses, but is confident to try again. The second is another miss, but the third time's a charm. She hits it squarely, and knocks it into the neighbor's yard.

"I hit it daddy!" the girl squeaked.

"You sure did. Good job baby girl," the man says proudly. They played until the sun went down, then went inside and had supper. After supper, the girl curled up in her father's lap, and watched baseball with him. Her favorite team was playing, the Arizona Diamond Backs. Her father was a Dodger's fan, but he still cheered on his daughter's team.

"Go! Go!" he shouted at the television. The man ran from base, to base, and finally made it home for a home run.

"Yay!" the girl cheered. Her father cheered with her, and gave her a big hug. When the game ended, the girl took a bath, and her father tucked her into bed.

"Goodnight sweetheart," he kissed her forehead, "I'll see you in the morning."

**********

When the girl went to the park the next afternoon, she asked the boys if she could play baseball with them.

"Ew!" One of them exclaimed, "she's a girl, she has cooties!" The boys all ran away, leaving the girl by herself, crying.

"It's all right sweetheart. Boys will be boys, just don't mind them," her father soothed. The boys didn't want to play with her, but her father did. Every afternoon, they went into their backyard and practiced. They practiced batting, pitching, and being in the outfield. By the time the girl was eight, she could hit the ball ninety percent of the time.

"Daddy," the girl said, "can I try out for little league?"

"Well, little league is for boys. I don't want them poking fun at you, so no. I'm sorry baby girl," her father said, tucking his daughter's hair behind her ear.

"When can I play for real?" she asked.

"I don't know sweetheart. I would like you to, but I just don't know."

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~•

I do hope you're enjoying this so far, and I hope my lingo isn't too confusing. Many parts of this story will be in baseball, and I hope you will try to understand. If you don't, ask your dad, mom, grandpa, brother, etc.

Natalie