The First

Chapter Three: The First

It had been a week since Ellie had received the bump on her head. They'd had three practices, and now it was time to start the season. They had a game against Marcos Deniza High School the next day, and decided to take a rest day. Ellie felt confident, and a little excited. This would be her first actual game. She didn't want to let down the team, so she did extra practice at home all that week.

"Ellie, come inside and relax. The game is tomorrow, and I can't have any tired players. Today is supposed to be a rest day," her father said.

"Fine, but if I screw up tomorrow, it's on you for stopping my practice," she said, dropping her wooden bat. Her father chuckled, and grabbed some plates for the burgers he'd just finished grilling. Ellie ate her burger slowly and didn't make much comment on the game they were watching. It was the Dodgers and the Cardinals; not anything she'd be excited by. Her dad on the other hand was on his feet yelling at the television.

Ellie honey, you've hardly said a thing all evening. What's the matter?" He asked.

"Nothing," she mumbled. But Dan Ream knows better than to listen to anything a teenager says.

"Ellie, I get it. You're nervous. I am too. It's the first game of the season, and we're up against a very good team. For you this is just the beginning. I understand why you're nervous. But you shouldn't be. You've practiced hard, and tomorrow is the time you have to show everyone just how hard you've worked, and that girls can play baseball just as well if not better than guys."

Ellie smiled, and hugged her father.

"Thanks dad," she said.

"You're gonna great baby girl. Now go get some sleep. We have a big day tomorrow.

*****************************

"Pardon the interruption, teachers please release the varsity baseball team at this time. All varsity baseball players report to the locker room at this time."

Ellie's stomach flipped at the announcement. She gathered her things and stood up to leave.

"You're not on the baseball team. You're a girl," said Bobby Strauss. "Girls can't play baseball."

"Mr. Strauss," said Mrs. Dinehart, "Ms. Ream is an excellent player and we are lucky to have her on the team. You are dismissed, Ms. Ream." Ellie smiled at her teacher and walked out of the classroom. When she reached the locker room, Ryder was holding the door for her.

"Thanks," she said. Ryder responded with a dazzling smile. When she got inside the locker room, the guys were changing. She went into the separate room and put on her uniform. When she was finished, her dad was making some announcements.

"First game of the season. Sure it's against last year's state champions, but we have the home field advantage! We can win this thing! We know everything there is to know about this field! Every hole, every bump, every rock, every single blade of grass! So let's go out there and win this! For you, for the school, for the district, for everyone!"

"Yes sir!" We shouted. We ran out of the locker room to the field. People cheered. Ellie scanned the crowd looking for a familiar face. She smiled when she saw her uncle. She waved and he smiled at her.

"Welcome everyone to the very first game of the 2014 baseball season!" the announcer said. The crowd cheered as we began warming up. "Today's game is Tempe High School versus Marcos Deniza High School. Quite an interesting game. Both teams made it to the finals last year but it didn't end well for the bison. They lost with a score of 9-4. But this season will most definitely be interesting ladies and gentlemen. For the first time in Tempe High School history, we have a female player on our varsity team! Please welcome to the plate, Ellie Ream! Let's play ball!"

This was it. Ellie grabbed her bat and jogged up to the plate, waving at the cheering crowd. I stepped up to the plate and shook my body to get loose. I put the bat up over my head and waited for the pitch.

*******************

Hey! I updated haha finally, right? Well, just wanted to give you this gift of a cliff hanger. I have decided to start writing a couple of fan fiction. One will be a Supernatural fan fiction, and the other will be a Spiderman fan fiction. Gotta love that Peter Parker :3 until next time!

~Natalie