Epilogue

"I wonder what is taking Kirin so long," Abel mused for what felt like the hundredth time as he helped Lady Lelynn prune Kirin's apple trees. They had grown quite a bit during the two months the man had been gone, off to the magistrate. Abel was just reaching up with a small blade to cut another overextending branch when something hard smacked him atop his head. He winced, turning to frown as Lady Lelynn wagged her finger at him.

"Worrying will do you no good, boy. Besides, the bloody chit bedded you so badly that you were unable to walk for two days! Two!" she ended with a shout. Abel had to force himself not to smile at the memory of that night.

Rubbing his head, he stepped down from the small chair he had been using and walked over to the woman. Leaning down, as he had gained a slight bit of height and weight with her shoving food at him at all hours, he pressed a light kiss to her cheek and chuckled.

"Twas a glorious night, my lady. I do regret being unable to assist you in the days after, though."

The baroness huffed, but Abel knew that she had enjoyed doting on him while his posterior healed from Kirin's affections. The man had definitely not be lying about his interest in bedding him the night of their wedding, yet Abel had not thought that Kirin had so much energy in him! The thought brought a blush to his face, which earned him another smack with the broomstick he noticed the baroness holding.

"I do not believe I deserve the reprimand, my lady," he scolded playfully. The hit had not truly hurt but would likely leave a bump that did.

"Oh do not try to play, you. I can see that you are smitten with him."

Unable to argue, Abel hurried to remove the broomstick from her hand, that did not even have any bristles upon it after a glance down. When he looked back up at Lady Lelynn with a raised brow, she smirked, only to roll her eyes a moment later and point at something behind him with the pruning blade she held in her other hand.

"Best turn yourself, young Squire. Your overaffectionate peacock seems to finally be home."

Her voice was taunting, but he knew that she meant well in her jests. He hurried to turn at her words, though, and immediately felt his heartbeat thrum with happiness at the sight of his lover astride his gorgeous mare. Ignoring the carriage he recognized far behind Asira, he quickly darted through the few trees between him and the worn path Kirin was heading down. Kirin had nudged his horse into a light gallop, likely having seen him. When Abel got close, Kirin gently pulled the horse's reins back and dismounted... Just in time to catch Abel as he jumped into the man's arms. Where he used to have to wrap his arms mainly around the man's upper torso, Abel could now easily twine them around his neck. When Kirin's arms closed tightly around him, he did just that.

"My have you grown in such a short time, my sweet Abel," Kirin whispered, slightly breathless as he leaned over and pressed a kiss to Abel's cheek.

"I missed you," Abel replied as he buried his nose into his lover's neck and inhaled his masculine, musky scent mixed with the smell of sweat. "You need to bathe," he added with a grin, getting a deserved nip to his nose from Kirin before they released each other.

"No wonder ye fought so long fer 'im. I never thought ye would be one t' bed a man, Squire," the magistrate said as his driver pulled his carriage to a stop next to them and he hobbled out. Abel wasn't sure what to make of the man being there, and awkwardly stepped behind Kirin.

"Hmph, don' look at me that way, boy. I ain' here to take ye. Thanks to ye lover, you are a free lad now."

Really?

Curious, Abel stepped back into view, though he left his hand grasping Kirin's arm as he stared at the magistrate. "Am I truly free?" he questioned, hesitant to believe.