Chapter 12

Ren awoke several hours later, resting on the floor of the room where he had lost consciousness, a pillow under his head and a blanket draped over him. He sat up, letting his newly augmented mind attune to the world. He was alive, and power was coursing through him. More than that though, he had made his decision.

He stood and walked out of the room. Neeka was resting against the wall just outside. She stood immediately when he came out and said: "H-hello," her voice quivering with nervousness.

"Hi," he said. A wave of excited nerves seemed to pass through them both at once and they both smiled.

"Are you feeling better?" she said.

"I'm alright," he said. He paused, not understanding the etiquette of the subject he wanted to discuss. After a moment though he chose honesty over hesitation. "I don't know if I should have kissed you without asking."

Her breathing quickened slightly. "I... it's alright... I don't mind so much." She swallowed and took a step closer and said: "I mean, I've been wanting you to."

They looked into each other's eyes and they kissed again. Neeka giggled and put her hand over her lips. "I never knew what a kiss felt like," she said.

"Neither did I," he said.

"Once more," she whispered, and she leaned in and planted a soft, slow peck on his lips, and then drew back, blushing.

Dalvin's voice came in rather abruptly: "If anyone is interested, the syndicate ship landed. I had my trap ready, but it did very little good. Everyone on board was already dead. Interestingly, they were killed by lightsaber wounds."

"Dammit," Ren heard Cathock grunt. "The Sith got to them before us then?"

"Well no, actually," said Dalvin. "At least not any Sith that were already here. The wounds were inflicted before the ship landed."

"What about the ship's records?" said Ren.

"All gone, and the computers were all slashed to pieces with a lightsaber as well."

"Well, I don't suppose they matter too much anymore," said Ren. "I'm beginning to put things together in regards to Kalethian. So far as I can tell, the treasure you all want is in the ship deep under this world." A distant grain in the vast multitude of memory he had absorbed from Satral confirmed this.

"We should venture down," said Cathock. He came into the room rather suddenly and walked up to Ren, putting a hand on Ren's shoulder. "Are you ready to travel?" There seemed to be very genuine concern in his eyes and voice.

"I'm alright," said Ren.

"I'd like to leave quickly," Cathock said.

"Yes, give me just a few more minutes," said Ren.

"Alright," Cathock said. He began to examine a rifle and wandered slowly out of the room.

Ren turned and saw Neeka gazing at him. She smiled and reached down to his wrist computer and pressed against the power control, switching it off. Then she did the same to her own computer.

"What are you doing?" Ren said.

"I love Dalvin, but I want a moment without him listening in." She put her arms around his neck. "Things keep happening. I wanted a chance to talk to you for just a moment."