Back

Is it the end? Chapter one

After the barrier cane down, no-one thought much about their powers. Everyone thought they had disappeared with the FAYZ. No one tried to get them back. Maybe they didn't want their fears to be confirmed. Maybe they were relieved, and didn't want them back. Maybe both.

But no one knew for sure. In fact, it was a long time until the truth was discovered...

Under the shade of a large tree, Lana sat. She still hadn't got used to the scorching Las Vegas sun. The FAYZ had been hot, but not like this.

Since the wall had come down, Lana hadn't seen anyone. She hadn't been allowed. As soon as she had been allowed out of hospital, her parents had carted her straight home. There, they kept her confined, scared of what she had become. They had sent Lana off to stop her drinking, even though it had only happened once. Now, she had come back in a much worse state. She wasn't even trying to quit any of the habits she had adopted in the FAYZ. In a strange way, they made her who she was. And she wasn't going to change herself for her parents.

Many young girls will say they hate their parents. And that was true of Lana. But she had reason enough. Throughout all her time in the FAYZ, her parents didn't even know anything was wrong. They didn't realelize that they had sent her the area of which the huge anomaly took over. They only knew something was wrong when the hospital called them on the day it disappeared. It was lucky none of their phone numbers had changed. Or, in another light, unlucky.

For a long time, the only company she had was Patrick, but now, even he was gone. One month earlier, he had died. It seemed that after starving in the FAYZ for so long, his body could not become normal again. Lana cried herself to sleep that night.

Sometimes, when the nights were long, and filled with dark memories, she still did.

However, Patrick was not the person (or dog) she missed the most. Sanjit. Which did surprise her;she loved him, but he had not been there at the start, when times were tough. But Sanjit had brought a ray of hope in the her dark world. It was impossible not to feel happy when he was around. She supposed he was happy, with his family right now. The complete opposite to Lana herself.

"Lana, come inside now please," her mother suddenly interrupted her day dreams. She sighed. The only times her mother tried to communicate with her disturbed daughter were when she was trying to have a meaningful heart to heart talk, which she detested with a burning passion.

Lackadaisically, Lana strode inside. Surprisingly, her mother was not sat down on the settee like usual, but stood up, and holding out the landline.

"Lana, someone called Melissa is on the phone. She wants to talk to you."